Happening Halloween haunts

With midterms coming to a screeching halt, candy corn and costumes seem to be the best way to blow off some of the steam St. John’s students have been carrying around for the past few weeks.

Although St. Johns isn’t particularly big on Halloween festivities, New York City is. And one the most important advantages to going to a university in Queens is that it is in the shadow of the greatest city in the world, and Manhattan does not downplay any holiday.

There are a slew of safe, fun, and affordable events happening all over Manhattan. There are vast amounts of theatres, museums, parades, and parties that all students can attend to have a good time.

The Halloween Extravaganza & the Procession of the Ghouls, held at the Cathedral of St. John the Divine, is an interesting event the entire family can enjoy. The night starts off with the showing of a classic horror flick in a candle-lit setting.

After the movie, the grand procession of ghouls begins, which entails a parade of ghoulish characters who creep through the isles of the auditorium, interact with the audience, and stay in perfect character the entire time. It is a $15 admission for everyone on Halloween at 7pm and again at 10pm. Taking the 1 or 9 to 110th street/Central Parkway, takes you two blocks away from the action.

At The Spine-Tingling & True: Ghost Stories of the Merchant’s House Museum, Anthony Bellov, a professional ghost story teller, recount highlights from his ongoing research in the strange and supernatural occurrences at the Merchant’s House Museum. The entire museum is transformed into a 19th century funeral setting.

The museum is on 29 East 4th Street in Manhattan. There is a discount for students attending the event, therefore the price is $15 and it starts at 7 and 9p.m. Students can take the F to Broadway Lafayette Street.

The National Comedy Theatre’s Halloween Spooktacular has a creative way of blending horror and comedy through improvisation performances. Critics in the past have compared the showings at the Theatre to the Scary Movie sequels. It is on 347 West 36th Street between 8th and 9th avenue. It is only $12 and it is taking place on Halloween and November 1, in case you miss it at 7:30 to 9:45p.m.

One of the only free Halloween events happening in Manhattan is the New York Village Halloween Parade. This parade starts at 7p.m and lasts until 9:30 p.m. It begins on 6th avenue, and runs from 6th avenue from Spring Street all the way to 21st street. Students who want to go can take the E subway all the way to Spring Street. This will be the parade’s 35th year. Thousands of New Yorkers attend this parade every single year and is different from every other parade held in New York, and even America in general.

It is the largest national celebration of Halloween, it is the only night parade in the nation, and anyone and everyone can join in. No one is forced to sit on the sidelines and watch, any person in a costume can march in the parade and be seen on TV. It is clearly an amazing event and a wildly creative free event in the greatest city in the world.

After the parade, the fun does not have to end there. Webster Hell: The Halloween Party at Webster Hall is the host of the official after party of the Halloween Parade. At $35 a person, the party is one of the priciest events on Halloween in Manhattan. However, the partying, fun, food, and prizes might make it all worth it.

The after-party is also the host of a costume contest. Anyone wearing the sexiest, scariest, funniest, or most creative costume will compete to win a $5,000 cash prize.

Webster Hall will have four floors of dancing, six DJs, and 40,000 square feet for frightening adventures. The party is located at 125 East 11th Street between 3rd and 4th Avenue. Students can take the L subway to 3rd Avenue. The party starts at 8p.m., while the costume contest is at 2a.m. and the party end shortly after that.

With all these ideas, there is something for everyone. There is no need for anyone to be plan-less this Halloween. Be safe and have fun. Happy Halloween!