Torch Delights

Last year, my boyfriend cooked a romantic Valentine’s Day dinner. I was deeply impressed by his skills in the kitchen (pasta with sauteed lobster certainly isn’t an easy feat to pull off).

However, I knew that there was no way I could ever cook him something that tasted as good.

Because no matter how hard I try in the kitchen, something always seems to go wrong.

Whether I don’t measure ingredients correctly or overcook food, I just can’t seem to get a recipe right.

But then I remembered one of my favorite dinners as a kid: English Muffin Pizza.

This is a seemingly simple meal that any college student (no matter what cooking background you come from) can make without screwing it up.

Not only is English Muffin Pizza remarkably easy to whip up quickly, it is also cheaper than dining off campus and tastier than eating in one of the dining halls.

In addition to that, my version of English Muffin Pizza is a healthier alternative to regular pizza.

Instead of using regular English Muffins, I use whole wheat ones and I use low-fat mozzarella cheese. You can also try to find a light version of tomato sauce if you’re counting calories.

So if you’ve ever felt like a complete failure in the kitchen, take another chance. Invite over a group of friends to watch Gossip Girls, Heroes, or whatever TV show you’re into, and impress them with your (actually non-existent) cooking skills.

They’ll be amazed that you learned to cook, but you don’t have to tell them that the only skill required to make a good English Muffin Pizza is buying the ingredients.

What You’ll Need:

-6 whole wheat English muffins

-1 jar of tomato sauce

-1 package of shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese

-Olive Oil and Oregano

What To Do:

-Toast English muffins until brown.

-Then, heat oven to 350 degrees. Spread the tomato sauce on the English muffins and place cheese on top.

-Drizzle a little olive oil over the English muffin and sprinkle a dash of oregano.

-Place back in toaster oven and cook for 5 minutes.

-Repeat for each English muffin.