Student talent show aims to fight genocide

St. John’s students took center stage in Marillac Auditorium on Nov. 14 for a charity talent show to raise awareness on global genocide.

The event was called “Perform for Peace” and was organized by STAND, the national Student Anti-Genocide Coalition.
The show featured more than a dozen students who sang, danced, recited poetry and step-danced.

$186 was raised and the proceeds will go to the Genocide Intervention Network, a group that funds civilian protection forces in Darfur, a region in Sudan, and Burma, a country in Southeast Asia, said Christine Chalifoux, the president of STAND.

She explained that despite not receiving an overwhelming amount of contributions, the event was still a success.

“We tried not to set goals,” she said. “[We know] it’s difficult for college students to donate money.”

Some students who attended the show said although the crowd was enthusiastic, attendance was not as high as expected.

“The show was great, but I thought there would be a bigger turnout,” said sophomore Daneia Freeman.

“I think St. John’s and the student body could do so much more to raise awareness.”

Senior Cameron McLinden, who performed a rendition of Claude McKay’s poem “If We Must Die” at the event, also said he was disappointed in student participation.

“We’re pathetic as students compared to other New York City schools,” he said. “We need more activism.”

Senior Daphne Pierre sang with a group of friends at the event and said she participated because she wanted to help make a difference in a cause she believes in.

“It was a new thing for me,” she said. “We wanted our song to embody the message of the event.”