The rise in drink prices leaves students feeling shortchanged

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that busy college students in possession of no fortune, must be able to, when studying late into the night, purchase restorative (that is, caffeine-charged) beverages at a reasonable price. For students living on campus, the recent spike in prices at the vending machines has turned buying a Sprite or a Nestea or a Coke into a major financial decision: does the convenience of buying a soda in the dorms outweigh the savings to be enjoyed at local grocery stores?

Whatever the answer, it is absurd that the question even needs to be asked. Sodas should not cost $1.65, and water-which can be had for less than a dollar at many stores outside the University- should not cost $1.50.

When the increased prices appeared on vending machines around campus, the first notification that students had about it was after the $1.50 they had used to buy a soda the previous day no longer brought them the refreshing drink they desired. Instead, students were left to grumble as they dug in their pockets for an extra 15 cents as well as to wonder when the phrase “nickel-and-dimed” had become literal.

Does the University really think that the convenience of buying drinks on campus rather than down the street is worth a price hike?

With the hefty tuition costs that students pay to this University, costs that have certainly not been falling every year, there should not be any need to raise prices on the little things.

In addition, students received no notification about the rise in prices. An email informing students about the reasoning behind the new prices would have helped to prevent the annoyance students felt about having to pay more for drinks. At least it wouldn’t have been such an unpleasant surprise if students had received some forewarning.

Whatever the reason for the increase, students looking for a quick sip of caffeine and carbonation between classes are faced with no alternative but to fork over the extra 15 cents.