Obama’s first week should silence skeptics

Since the beginning of his presidential campaign, President Barack Obama’s platform has consisted of ambitious change.

His speeches are filled with resilient promises that comfort hurting Americans and as he was sworn into office in front of a record gathering of inaugural spectators, it was pretty hard not to be inspired
with hope.

During a time when the state of the nation’s politics and economy could seemingly get no worse, President Obama inspires hope with promises of immediate reform and change.

But while many Americans believe in the sweeping changes proposed by the Obama agenda, there are skeptics.

These skeptics resentfully object that with the current decline of the economy and foreign affairs, the agenda President Obama has set for his first few months in office is far too ambitious for the current state of the nation.

Some believe that the President’s staunch optimism is simply a sedative for the American people’s troubles.

In his first Saturday morning web address to the people on Jan. 24, Obama addressed these doubters saying, “I know that some are skeptical about the size and scale of this recovery plan.

I understand that skepticism, which is why this recovery plan must and will include unprecedented measures that will allow the American people to hold my Administration accountable for these results.”

The President has already displayed in his first days in office that he is willing to take action, and is not all talk.

Obama has signed five new executive orders, implemented various fiscal moves including freezing the salaries of any White House worker making over $100,000 a year, and has moved fast in working with Congress to sign his new American Recovery and Reinvestment Plan.

President Obama promises that this new plan will “update our electric grid by laying more than 3,000 miles of transmission lines; weatherize 2.5 million homes; protect health insurance for more than 8 million Americans in danger of losing their coverage; secure 90 major ports; renovate 10,000 schools; and triple the number of science fellowships.”

With our economy in the state it is in, surely there is no plan “too ambitious” or a politician “too eager” for the challenges at hand.

Barack Obama has taken office and immediately begun to move towards improving the nation. As noted in his Saturday morning web address, Obama hopes to sign the recovery plan within the next month.

Would those skeptical of Obama’s agenda rather see their President act slower and with less enthusiasm?

The bottom line: we have not seen a president with this much overt passion for the United States in a long while, and to not appreciate the candor of our new Commander-in-Chief would be a disservice to the country.