St. John’s student reported missing for over a week

Last updated on Friday, Jan. 30 at 3:00 p.m.

A St. John’s student has been reported missing by family members after disappearing for more than a week, reports a New York Daily News article.

According to the article, Erica Desai, 19, was last seen at LaGuardia Airport with her cousin on Jan. 20.

The Daily News also reports the unidentified cousin told investigators he drove the Desai back to her dorm on the Queens campus and that family members last heard from the St. John’s freshman after receiving a phone call letting them know she arrived safety to New York from North Carolina, the family’s residence.

A spokesperson for the Deputy Commissioner for Public Information’s office confirmed Friday afternoon that Desai was last seen “in the vicinity of Utopia Parkway and Union Turnpike.” The case is still under investigation.

University officials alerted students and faculty of Desai’s disappearance via a public safety advisory on St. John’s Central Thursday evening.

In a statement released early Friday morning, the University said they are working with police to help find the missing student.

“St. John’s has cooperated fully with detectives at the 107th Precinct and the NYPD has asked for the assistance of the University community to help in the investigation,” said the statement. “The safety and security of all of our students is a top priority and our main concern is for the well-being of Ms. Desai.”

An article in the New York Post reports school officials may have told police that Desai was expelled last month.

However, Dominic Scianna, assistant vice president for media relations, said that is not the case.

“According to our statements and records, she is a student, but that’s all I can say for now,” he said. “She is a student here, I can verify that.”

Anyone with information on Desai’s whereabouts has been asked to contact the NYPD 107th Precinct Detective Squad at 718 969-6844.