McLean suspended indefinitely, arrested for D.U.I. in crash

The Red Storm women’s basketball team has been without Monique McLean for three straight games and may be without the senior for the remainder of the season.

Before the Storm’s Feb. 14 game against Syracuse, head coach Kim Barnes-Arico announced that McLean had been suspended indefinitely for violating the St. John’s Student-Athlete Code of Conduct — a guideline to University athletes’ actions covering the areas of alchol and drug use, sexual harassment, academics and gambling, among others.

Though McLean’s suspension is indefinite, University officials say that there is no standard length for athlete suspensions.
“We have high expectations for our student-athletes, and we take all violations of our Student-Athlete Code of Conduct seriously,” said Director of Athletics Chris Monasch in a Feb. 14 press release. “Our first concern is always for the health and well-being of those involved in the incident, and then we deal with the situation properly.”

Though no information as to the specifics of McLean’s violation have been provided by the University, the Torch has learned that two days before her suspension McLean was arrested and charged with D.U.I.

According to police, just before midnight on Feb. 12 McLean struck a parked car and a street sign while driving a black 2005 Jeep.

McLean was also charged with Reckless Driving and Criminal Mischief.

University officials would not connect McLean’s arrest with her suspension from the team.

However, the code of conduct does allow for suspension in cases involving athletes and alcohol.

“A student-athlete who consumes alcohol, regardless of age, will be held accountable for any alcohol-related incident in which he or she is involved,” it reads. “In such cases, the student-athlete is subject to University, Athletic Department and/or team disciplinary action whether or not there are
legal implications.”

Attempts to reach McLean and Barnes-Arico for comment were unsuccessful.