Tennis teams struggling in spring

Men’s Tennis
The St. John’s men’s tennis team were unable to stop the recent bleeding as they were edged by the Columbia Lions on Friday, 4-3.

After a hot 3-0 start to open up the spring portion of their schedule, the loss at the Lions’ Dick Savitt Tennis Center in Manhattan marks their third in a row. They still have not lost a match at home, however, as the other two have come either on the road or on a neutral court. Their record now sits at an even 3-3.

The Red Storm quickly fell behind 1-0 after their doubles tandems, which have not been all that effective recently, were swept by the Lions. Even the combination of Hauk and Kosut, who were 2-0 entering the day as a team, earned their first loss of the young season.

Despite Asaf Honig opening up singles play with a loss, things started to look brighter for the Red Storm as three of their key players seemed to have a groove.

Milo Hauk managed to pick the team up and keep them out of a 3-0 hole as he notched his team-leading fifth win of the season with a sweep of Columbia’s Bodgan Borta.

Pavel Cerny and Martin Kosut each found themselves in an early 0-1 hole in their respective matches. However, they both managed to scrape together two straight sets to win their matches and put the Red Storm ahead 3-2.

With the Red Storm just needing one more win with two matches remaining, the day was left on the shoulders of Jordan Talbot after Stefan Nikolic was swept in two sets, allowing the Lions to tie the match at 3-3. Talbot dropped his match and, in turn, dropped the day to the Lions.

Women’s Tennis
The St. John’s women’s tennis team continued the disappointing start to their spring campaign on Friday, losing to the Princeton Tigers 7-0.

With the loss, which was their fourth straight, the Red Storm’s record now sits at 1-6 overall. Their last win came at home on Feb. 10 against Farleigh Dickinson.

The doubles point continued to evade the Red Storm, a trend that has continued to rear its ugly head in each of their losses this season. The tandems of Austin and Yonkus, Aleksova and Mikhaylova, and Gasiunaite and Liantonio were swept easily by the Tigers in a combined 24-4 thrashing.

It never got any prettier for the Red Storm in their singles matches. They were defeated in straight sets by the Tigers in all but one position.

Only Gabija Gasiunaite managed to live to see a third set but she was knocked off as well.

After the day concluded, the women’s doubles record stood at a less than impressive 4-17 while their singles records combined for a hapless 12-30.