Speed Dating Your Prospective Professors
Isabella Acierno, Outreach Manager • April 29, 2024

Record blood donations prove St. John’s has a heart

St. John’s always boasts its Catholic, Vincentian, and Metropolitan mission statement, but many of us can probably attest to finding faults in the school’s ability to back it up.

Yet there is no denying the Catholic and Vincentian qualities manifested in the school’s steadfast involvement and commitment to the New York Blood Center.

St. John’s collected a record amount of blood in 2008 after the school formed the University Blood Donation Steering Committee, which consists of representatives from all St. John’s campuses. According to the University’s Web site, the school received 1,774 donations in 2008, amounting to a record-breaking 1,639 pints of lifesaving blood.

These numbers come from the culmination of students, professors, and staff across the Queens, Oakdale, Staten Island and Manhattan campuses.

In addition to these numbers, the Web site notes that the Community Outreach Committee of the Student Bar Association made its contribution as well, sponsoring blood drives at the law school and collecting 79 pints of blood in total.

Not only does this set a new precedent of community service at St. John’s, but it also makes the University the leading blood donor of all colleges and universities in the New York City metropolitan area, a fact that certainly bolsters St. John’s Vincentian mission.

This semester, the University is continuing its good work with a few visits from the NYBC already complete.

With four more scheduled blood donation days on the Queens campus this academic year alone, the school will be hoping to maintain and progress their impressive contributions to the community’s dire need for blood.

Because of the large significance and need for human blood, St. John’s committment is a good thing. Blood centers all across the country represent the sick and dependent-those who are in need of blood to continue living their lives.

According to the New York Blood Center’s Web site, one in every three people will require a blood transfusion once in their life, a statistic that should inspire us all to eagerly offer up some of the extra blood flowing through our veins.

Donating blood between classes or before you go home for the day is one of the best ways to make a significant difference in someone’s life, and thanks to the blood center’s portable vehicles and frequent campus visits, it’s also incredibly easy. So if you’ve never donated blood before, check it out next time you see “Drip,” the school’s blood donation mascot, bouncing in front of the library.

The blood raised on campus in 2008 and the school’s dedication to raising awareness is admirable, and hopefully influential for other NYC area schools. The important thing to remember, however, is that the record amount of blood raised came largely from students and could not have been achieved without student blood.

St. John’s is doing something right. The University has done well, and 2009 is looking even brighter.