So Much to Do, So Little Time

Unable to go home this Spring Break? Don’t think you have enough money to have an enjoyable break in New York? Try not to be overwhelmed by thoughts of a boring week spent sitting in your room with nothing to do, and instead allow yourself to be entertained by some of these satisfyingly simple activities.

It doesn’t take a lot of money to treat yourself to a relaxing day of pampering. De-stress after midterm week at a spa in one of the biggest cities in the world! When looking at spas in and around Queens, a few lower priced and customer approved places come to mind.

One moderately priced spa in particular, Pure Spa & Salon is located in Sunnyside, Queens on Queens Boulevard and has been acclaimed by customers as clean and relaxing with great service and accommodations.

Haven Spa in SoHo on Mercer Street is also relatively affordable and known for its exceptional service as well. Slightly higher priced but still affordable is the Feline Day Spa, which offers the total spa experience on the Upper West Side in Manhattan where one can get a relaxing massage that’s worth the price.

Another option for an interesting outing in the city is a trip to a local museum, no more than a borough away and easily gotten to when utilizing the public transit system. There is a plethora of interesting and interactive museums within New York City if you only take the opportunity to look around.

At first glance, a few of the most famous New York museums are Madame Tussaud’s Wax Museum on 42nd St. between 7th and 8th Avenue, the Museum of Modern Art located at 11 West 53rd St. between 5th and 6th Avenue, the New York exhibition of The Bodies Exhibit at the South Street Seaport, the American Museum of Natural History located at Central Park West at 79th St. and The Metropolitan Museum of Art located at 1000 Fifth Avenue at 82nd Street.

There are countless other museums in New York City about interesting things that, just like the museums mentioned, often have low priced admission or even discounts depending on whether or not you are a student or the day of the week you visit.

In the arena of dining, you don’t have to go far from campus to experience cuisine from other nations. Queens is a veritable melting pot of cultures, as is New York City in general, and with that there are an abundance of choices when it comes to selecting delicacies from around the world. Queens boasts the second largest Chinatown in the United States, right in Flushing, which allows for an array of cuisines from all over Asia, including Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Korean, Malaysian and many others at genuinely affordable prices.

If you aren’t in the mood for Asian, Trattoria L’incontro in Astoria, Queens offers amazing Italian food and service and Crooked Tree in St. Mark’s Place has an appetizing menu of sandwiches and crepes that won’t leave you or your wallet empty.

If it’s physically active recreation you desire, try the upscale 300 New York at Chelsea Piers which has bowling, rock climbing, dancing and ice skating all in one place, which are all easily accessible options for fitness and fun. If you’ve ever been enchanted by the idea of seeing a Broadway or off-Broadway play but instead shrugged off the idea because the tickets were too expensive or you didn’t have the time, now is your chance to see live theatre performed in New York City for an affordable price.

When “student rushing” a Broadway or off-Broadway play, all that is required is a student identification card in order to receive the benefits of low priced tickets for exceptional seats (the average price being around $27) from the box office of the show, usually located directly in front of the theatre. In order to ensure that you will be able to go to a certain show, inquire in advance whether or not the play is having a Student Rush option for the event and arrive before the box office opens so that you will be able to purchase tickets.

So now that you’ve been allotted an overwhelming amount of options to consider this vacation, don’t spend too much time contemplating your now full agenda and instead go out, have fun and make this Spring Break a memorable experience in the Big Apple.