Running for a cause

Senior Andrew Conde is up for a major challenge: he, along with senior Sean McGrath and recent graduate Rory Quinn, are preparing to run in the Long Island Marathon on May 3.

The race begins in Nassau County on Charles Lindbergh Blvd. in Uniondale and ends at Eisenhower Park in East Meadow.

This grueling 26-mile race requires a strenuous training regimen and a serious commitment.

Conde first began his rigourous workout routine by getting his mind into shape; he perused a few books from the library in order to learn more about running a marathon.

Then, he began his physical regimen. Between balancing work, school and training, Conde said he does not find time to actually run until 10 p.m.

He runs on the University’s track for three hours at a time, four to five days a week.
He has endured running in extreme weather conditions, including snow and 30 mph wind.
Conde said that training at St. John’s brings him a sense of support.

“It’s intense, but believe it or not there are more people than you think running at that time too,” he said.

Conde also said he feels that training with the two other students who are participating has been a bonding experience since they are running for a cause, not competitively.

Since they are not running competitively, they do not have to worry and can focus on simply completing the marathon.

“We are a team and we want each other to do well,” Conde said.

Although they have reached their 20 mile mark during training, it will still be a test to reach 26 miles.

“The last six miles will be on pure guts,” Conde said.

However, when difficult moments arise, Conde said he finds inspiration from family and friends and dedicates miles to them in order to remain focused.

The three runners will rely on the fact that they are doing this for something bigger than themselves.

They did, in fact, decide to participate in the marathon in order to raise money for Big Brothers and Big Sisters of Brooklyn and Queens.

“This is something that we can believe in, and something they can believe in,” said Conde.

Big Brothers and Big Sisters is a Catholic charity that is dedicated to providing mentors to children under the age of 18.

“This is a charity reflects a lot of our values and by choosing to ignore this charity, you’re choosing to ignore the future,” said Conde, who has participated in other community service events such as Midnight Runs.

He plans to become a mentor for Big Brothers after the race is over.