Men’s soccer tie, win in Indy

The St. John’s men’s soccer team opened their 2009-10 season in Bloomington, Ind., looking to build on their run to the College Cup Final Four last season and a No.1 preseason ranking by College Soccer News.

The No. 5 Red Storm will have to settle with a tie and a win after playing the weekend rounds of the adidas/IU (Indiana University)Credit Union Classic tournament in Bloomington, Ind.

The Red Storm tied then-No. 7 Indiana, 0-0, in the opening round Friday and beat Big East-rival Notre Dame, 2-0, Sunday.

“It was nice to beat Notre Dame,” head coach Dave Masur said. “We knew Indiana was going to be tough and we weren’t good offensively. We played a good first half and needed to play a better second half to win.”

Against the Hoosiers, redshirt junior midfielder Tadeu Terra and redshirt junior midfielder Adam Himeno led the way on offense, finishing with three and two shots, respectively.

The defense of Ben Clack, David Reed, Connor Lade, Joel Gustafsson, and goalkeeper Derby Carrillo limited the Hoosiers to only three shots
on goal.

“The defense played very well. Connor and Ben, especially played fantastic,” said Masur. “Derby played fantastic especially against Notre Dame. He knows what is expected of him and he has learned a lot from last year. He’s ready for this season.”

Carrillo, who was recently named Big East Goalkeeper of the Week, finished the game with three saves to earn the shutout.
In the second game of the tournament, the defense had another great performance. Carrillo finished the game with four saves to earn the shutout.

Reed said, “Derby’s playing very well and the transition has been smooth. We knew that Derby was ready this year.”

On the offensive end, there were a number of players that contributed for the Red Storm.

Junior midfielder Sverre Wegge Gundhus scored the game-winner in the second half, while Becerra finished the game with a goal and an assist.

“We had a great first half. Pablo [Punyed] played well in the midfield while Tadeu had a great game. During the second half, we weren’t that playing that stable,” said Masur.

Besides, Wegge Gundhus and Becerra; Himeno, Terra, and redshirt freshman midfielder Josh Faga each finished with a shot on goal.

At the end of the tournament, six Red Storm players earned All-Tournament honors. Gundhus was named Offensive MVP, while senior Joel Gustafsson was the Defensive MVP. Others who were named to the All-Tournament team were Carrillo, Clack, Lade, and Reed.

Even with all of the accolades for the tournament, Reed still expects more from this season.

“Were going in confident,” said Reed.

“Coach says he expects us to win every game and that is the same moral we have. “