Advertising Club joins industry organization

St. John’s University’s Advertising Club has expanded its horizons in a big way.

Over the summer, the Advertising Club has landed a contract with the American Association of Advertising Agencies (4As).

Founded in 1917, the 4As is the national advertising trade association. Its members generate roughly 80 percent of advertising material put forth by advertising agencies nationwide.

Professor John Swan, advisor of the Advertising Club, was one of the faculty liaisons and proponents of becoming a member of the 4As. Professor Thomas McCarthy, Dean Kathleen MacDonald and Steve Carella, an alum, also helped facilitate the membership for
students.

Swan explained how this membership was able to happen.

“The 4As was looking to expand their membership and ways to build their business and it dawned on them that educational use might work,” he said.

“Through all the networking of alumni, myself included, we were able to realize we had a common need and we were able to convince the 4As that St. John’s with its proximity to the largest media, marketing and advertising capital in the world was the best place to start. They agreed with that.”

According to Swan, St. John’s University is the only university to be a member.

“That alone speaks volumes for our advertising department,” said Swan.

Liz Viani, a senior and the Advertising Club secretary, agreed that the membership will be beneficial for all those involved.

“We want all the advertising majors to understand that the 4As’ membership is only made up of actual agencies themselves,” she said.

“So the fact that we have made that connection is something that no other university’s students get.”

“No matter what your focus, you can learn something new,” said Viani.

“You can speak to the speaker or the moderator and you can be able to get inside information that other students may never have the opportunity to do.”

The Advertising Club will be hosting its annual Networking Dinner, where students have the opportunity to speak with professionals in the industry.

Ashley Hamilton, a senior and the Advertising Club president, said she likes the direction the club is going.

“We’re trying to rev things up this year by being very proactive in getting people connections in the advertising world,” said Hamilton.

“With Professor Swans’ help, we essentially have a board of directors for the club.”

“These people are high-up in the advertising industry, we have account management directors, vice presidents, associate vice presidents at our executive board meetings and they’re very helpful.

Basically our students have many opportunities to network and make connections with actual industry insiders.”

All of the members of the Advertising Club are very excited.

“The 4As is the association for advertising. There is no other professional association for advertising. It absolutely brings the Advertising Department up a significant level,” said Swan.

The Advertising Club holds weekly meetings every Thursday during common hour in Marillac Room 137.