Women’s hoops in Top 25 rankings

February has been good to the St. John’s women’s basketball team.

For the second week in a row, they’ve been ranked in the Associated Press Top 25 poll, receiving 68 points. They also improved to the No. 24 ranking in the Coaches Poll, earning 67 points.

“We are really excited to be ranked in the AP Top 25 Poll,” said Barnes Arico. “I am really proud of the team and what they have
accomplished so far this season. We still have some tough games left in the Big East play, but we are going to enjoy this moment.”

After receiving votes in 10 out of the first 11 weeks of the regular season, the Red Storm were ranked in the Feb. 1 AP Poll, earning 78 points to seal the No. 25 spot. The Red Storm were also ranked No. 25 in the Feb. 2ESPN/USA Today Coaches’ Poll with 58 points.

The Red Storm have won six of their last seven games and currently stand at a 19-4 overall record and a 7-3 Big East record, which is one of the best starts under Barnes Arico.

The last time the Red Storm had this much success was the 2005-06 season, when they were ranked No. 23 in the AP Poll and No. 24 in the Coaches’ Poll. That was the same year when Barnes Arico and the Red Storm reached the NCAA Tournament for the first time in 20 years.

After making it to the WNIT Tournament in the past years, the thought of making the NCAAs has got the Red Storm players very excited.

“If we play hard, we stick
together, we play as a family, we
play as a team, and carry out the
potential that [Barnes Arico] sees in us, then we can do big things,” senior forward Joy McCorvey said. “Everybody bought into that.

Everybody believes in each other. The coaches believe in us, so we keep playing hard and we have room to grow.”

The Red Storm will close out their season in an extremely difficult six game stretch, where they will face Big East opponents Louisville, Connecticut, Notre Dame, Rutgers, Villanova and Pittsburgh.