Wild ‘n Out with Nick Cannon

With numerous accomplishments since childhood and a new position as radio VJ on the 92.3 NOW music station in New York, Nick Cannon has earned his place among the Top 10 Most Successful Young People in Hollywood. Recently, the Inferno had a conference call with the former Wild’N Out host to discuss the married life, music and success.

Inferno: How would you personally
define “success?”
Nick Cannon: Success is a journey; it isn’t a destination because you don’t necessarily have to make it somewhere. For me, it’s a way of life; you have to live your life successfully.

Inferno: What was your initial reaction after finding out you were part of the “Top 10 Most Successful Young People in Hollywood” list?
NC: I was stoked! I thought it was rigged. But it was just one of those things where people give you accolades and you have to humbly accept. I didn’t let it get to my head and stop my grind ’cause now I gotta be the number 1 most successfully young person in Hollywood.

Inferno: Growing up, what caught your interest first: music, comedy or acting?
NC: It’s a toss up between music and comedy. I was always the class clown and the kid with a lot of energy.†But music was my first love and passion.† My grandfather was a great musician so I kind of got that from him.
Inferno: Who or what inspires you?
NC: To this day, people in my family continue to inspire me. Also, I’ve always looked up to guys like Quincy Jones, Will Smith, Russell Simmons and Diddy and drew inspiration from them.

Inferno: Who are some actors and musicians you’d love to work with?
NC: I always wanted to work with Denzel Washington and music wise, I’d love to work with Stevie Wonder and Alicia Keys.

Inferno: What was the creative process for Wild n’ Out?
NC: I was just hanging out in a comedy club with my friends and they said, “Yo Nick! Why won’t you get us a job?”† We are always joking around, like you see on the show and so I thought to myself, “This is the show right here!” And from there, I put it together.

Inferno: Could you discuss your multimedia company, NCredible Entertainment, a bit?
NC: NCredible Entertaintment was a 360-degree idea where we’d be able to operate on all levels of entertainment: film, music, branding and marketing.†A one-stop shop that takes an idea and expands on it on all different levels.

Inferno: How did your hosting gig on 92.3 FM, here in NYC, come about?
NC: Well, I’ve always been a fan of radio and every time I’d do interviews on the radio, people would tell me that I should do radio and 92.3 approached me and gave me the opportunity.

Inferno: How did you become chairman of TeenNick?
NC: I’ve always said that at some point, I’m [going to] run Nickelodeon.†And one day, I went into the office and asked for my own network.†I gave a presentation of my idea and told them, “If Oprah can have her own network, I want my own network too!”† I also told† them that I could run the teen channel better than anybody because I know and understand this particular demographic. And after the presentation, they agreed and gave me the network.

Inferno: What’s your favorite project that you’ve worked on so far?
NC: I’d have to say Wild n’ Out.

Inferno: What are some projects or new ventures we can expect from you this year?
NC: I’ll be working with musicians that are a part of my company label and I also got a new hip-hop reality show on MTV called Son of†a Gun which stars rapper, Cory Gunz.† Also, Wild n’ Out will be coming back for new seasons.

Inferno: Briefly, how did you and Mariah
Carey meet? And have there been any talks of a music collaboration?

NC: In interviews, people have always asked me who my celebrity crush was and I’d always tell them Mariah Carey, and after she heard that, we got in contact and linked up. As for a collabo, we’ve talked about it but I don’t feel I’m worthy enough to be in the studio with Mariah Carey.

Inferno: What is one thing your fans don’t know about you that they should know?
NC: [I’ve] got a black belt; Eminem watch out! †