Torch Photo / Abigail Grieco
Surviving Senioritis as a Second-Semester Senior

Student Government presents candidates

Student Government, Inc. held a debate yesterday afternoon in the D’Angelo Center to introduce the student body to the candidates involved in the upcoming elections.

Members of the UNITE and the Progressing in Academics Revamping Traditions Enhancing Your Experience (P.A.R.T.Y.) tickets, along with those running as independents, presented their platforms and views on issues that are important to University students.

During the debate, Chenele Francis, Elections chair asked standard questions such as what the candidates would like to change about SGI’s performance and what they would like to change on campus and why.

Patrick Brewer, P.A.R.T.Y.’s candidate for
president, responded by presenting his ticket’s platform to students and administration, adding that he “would like to make our institution more approachable and visible.”

He made it clear that his ticket is already involved in various organizations on campus. Brewer is the current secretary of SGI, and each of his fellow P.A.R.T.Y. are active in other clubs.

The UNITE ticket emphasized “change” as Mike Molina, their candidate for president, spoke on a variety of issues including the enhancement of SGI’s transparency and visibility on campus.

Molina also touched on such topics as publicizing the budget so that all organizations and students on campus are aware of the funds available to them. He discussed the advantages of implementing various media outlets such as the Torch, Twitter, and Facebook.

He added that these outlets would be used as tools to navigate through their differences and network more efficiently.

According to Molina, the advantages of social networking would enable SGI to circulate information to administration.

After the presidential candidates, the rest of the party candidates and the independent candidates introduced themselves to the audience and answered questions posed by students.

Students seemed impressed by the efforts of the candidates.

“I know what I would like to see changed or added to St John’s and whomever fits closest to that criteria is who I will choose when I vote,” Keana Woods, a freshman, said. “We as the students have an obligation to aid in the functions of our school. We cannot complain about the happenings of St . John’s if we aren’t voicing our opinions and concerns.”

Danielle Campbell, a freshman, thought the debate was a great opportunity for students to learn about the candidates.

“Most of the candidates held their own and I have seen some of the things they are involved in as individuals and know that they are qualified,” she said.

Another debate will be held March 24 in the Donovan Community Room at 5:30 p.m. Voting will March 29 and 30 in the D’Angelo Center and on St. John’s Central.