Well dressed clowns, magicians and hypnotists

Carnesecca Arena will be transformed Thursday night for the Fashion Club’s annual fashion show event. This year’s show, titled “Cirque De La Mode,” will feature a circus theme and be hosted by Coco and Breezy, two Accessory designers whose work has been worn by such artists as Lady Gaga and Rihanna.

According to the Fashion Club President, Michelle Walker, the show will feature music by a local DJ from Hot 97 as well as many other exciting features.

“We have an opening with the cheerleaders from St. John’s, and we have nine up and coming designers with different themes in the circus, so just be prepared to be excited,” Walker said.

Morgan Henderson, who is head of promotions at the Fashion Club, talked about the process of putting the event together and deciding on a theme for the show.

“We had a brainstorming meeting and came up with a circus theme,” she said. “Then we sat down and brainstormed what aspects in the circus can be incorporated into our fashion show, and we came up with different themes for designs.”

Henderson said some of the specific themes that would be inspiring the model’s outfits would be such things as knife-throwing, a magician, hypnotist, clown and a ring-leader.

“For example, for the clown theme, we’re going to have a lot of big dresses and bright colors,” Henderson said.

For the Fashion Club, Thursday’s show represents the pinnacle moment of the club’s yearly efforts.

Jerian DiMattei, the club’s secretary, feels that the fashion show represents the whole purpose of what the Fashion Club is. Holding the event every year gives members of the club first hand experience in all the aspects of the fashion industry, from hair and makeup to public relations experience.

“That’s what the fashion club is about,” said DiMattei. “To get everyone to have an experience in the fashion industry and allow them to be in the experience and meet people in the actual industry.”

Chanel Mack, the club’s vice president, describes it as a self-interest organization that allows students to display and utilize their passions for fashion in areas such as photography, modeling
or fashion design.

In addition to the yearly fashion show, the club holds special programs like “Show me your walk,” a program aimed at helping young models develop their runway stride. Another event featured a workshop showing girls how
to do their makeup.

Mack also stressed the openness of the club, and how easy it is for new students who may be interested to get involved. The club has general body meetings every semester usually during common hour.

For those interested in any kind of career in the fashion industry, the members emphasize that the fashion club is designed to boost their experience and contacts.

Morgan Henderson, the head of promotions for the group, specifically talked about how Thursday’s fashion show is a great opportunity for networking, and not just for the models.

“We’ve invited a lot of people from the industry,” Henderson said. “Fashion designers, bloggers, PR, advertising. SONY records will be in the building.”

The group said that last year’s show brought in around 700 students.

“This year we’re expecting a thousand,” Walker said. “Hopefully we’ll get that.”

All St. John’s students can buy a ticket to the fashion show for $3 at the campus concierge in the D’Angelo Center, and are allowed to bring two non-St. John’s guests.

Non-St. John’s students can buy a ticket for $5. The show starts at 8 p.m. in Carnesecca Arena.