Linkin Park – A Thousand Suns

Every band must take a leap of faith in order to evolve.

Alternative group Linkin Park demonstrates once again that they are not afraid to experiment with a new sound in their latest album A Thousand Suns.

The chart topping single “The Catalyst” caught fans’ attention and kept the anticipation going for the album’s debut on Sept. 14. After an intense

performance of the song at the 2010 MTV Video Music Awards, Linkin Park showed that they still have the talent that had previously brought them success.

Linkin Park strived to connect with their fans on a conceptual level

throughout A Thousand Suns. The entire album told a story, and each song

contributed its own part. 

The themes of the album were easy to distinguish. In a rare expression of love, Linkin Park brings listeners an uplifting song in “The Messenger,”

singing “When life leaves us blind/ Love keeps us kind.” The usual regret and angst from past albums was present in songs such as “Wretches and Kings.”

Other stand out tracks showed emotional depth. “Waiting For The End” had a captivating beat along with meaningful lyrics that tell how letting go is not always as easy as it seems. “Burning In The Skies” is one of the few semi-slow jams on the album, describing how everyone makes decisions they have to live with.

The album’s downfall comes with songs that are overpowered by the electronic instrument use. The tempo of “Blackout” was fast-paced and dark along with heavy metal vocals by lead vocalist Chester Bennington. However, no two songs sound the same on the album, which keeps listeners eager to press next. 

When it comes to evolving in music, Lincoln Park ceases to quit. After five previous albums that brought Linkin Park straight to the top, A Thousand Sunshas potential for success as well.