Ariana Grande releases new Christmas single

That gingerbread, holiday sweater, Christmas lights time of the year is here once again. Thanksgiving has come and gone, and now the time is right to drape the house in tinsel and sing along to your favorite Christmas jingles.

Ariana Grande’s “Santa Tell Me” is a new twist on the classic Christmas song by fusing in elements of a love song. In one verse of the chorus, Grande sings about a love interest from the previous holiday season. It seems as if things didn’t work out when she sings, “Santa tell me if you’re really there/ Don’t make me fall in love again if he won’t be here next year.” Grande wants to avoid having her feelings hurt so she asks Santa to guard her heart with knowledge of her love’s true feelings. She is unsure of how to act when she sees this former beau and only wants to act on her feelings if she’s sure he feels the same.

Last year, Grande released the holiday album “Christmas Kisses” that featured the song “Santa Baby.” The two songs are similar, but “Baby” is more of a sultry tune. It had more of the seductive tone that made the original song.

“Santa Tell Me” can be considered a revision of “Santa Baby” whether it be Grande’s version or the original. Either way, “Tell Me” might be the most original of them all. Grande stays true to herself and her style of music by keeping the beat of the song catchy and uplifting.

However, the Christmas-themed love song makes it clear the holiday spirit is what’s getting her down. “I’ve been down the road before, fell in love on Christmas night/But I knew you say I woke up and he wasn’t by my side/… I’m avoiding every mistletoe until I know it’s true love.”