Q&A: Action Item’s Brian Cag speaks with the Torch

Torch: What was your goal when you first started the band?

Brian Cag, vocalist/rhythm guitar, Action Item: I think it’s pretty similar to what people really wish to accomplish with anything. I think our number one goal is to be happy and successful. We love what we do musically and I think we helped some people out emotionally and even spiritually. I think making ourselves happy and making sure that we’re making really honest music that sticks to us and hopefully sticks to other people is important.

T: What should listeners expect with your new album that’s being released in Oct.?

BC: It’s a very positive upbeat record. There’s a lot of life cycle of emotions that this album has. I can tell you one thing, there are no super-store ballads so I think it’s very upbeat and pretty positive.

T: What are your thoughts on your new single “Last Day of Summer”?

BC: I think it illustrates exactly that kind of summer nostalgia song we all can relate to. I think everyone can correlate with that feeling of the last day of summer so I think that was our aim.

T: What was it like and how did it feel to hear your song on the radio for the first time?

BC: It’s pretty crazy. It’s something that every band and musician dreams of having having their song on the radio. We have a lot of other campaigns coming up to get that song more airplay.

T: How did you come up with the band name? What’s the meaning behind it?

BC: We were actually watching a movie called Fight Club. There’s a pretty intense scene in the movie where someone says the word, “Action Item”, and it sounded pretty cool and Dan’s brother, Mark, decided that that would be a pretty cool name for the band and we said, “Yeah, it sounds good.”

T: Your music video is being premiered on MTV’s Buzzworthy Blog. What does that feel like?

BC: It’s going to be premiered on Buzzworthy hopefully sometime this week. It should be great. I think it’s everyone’s dream to be incorporated with the MTV brand. It’s great, we’re so appreciative of them.

T: What went into filming the music video?

BC: We were actually at a bunch of different locations in California. It was great. We had a wonderful director who had a great vision of what the song should portray visually for that summer feeling. I think that was very important to have and I think it’ll come across really nicely onscreen and I think the video just enhances the song. So when you watch the video, I think you’ll connect with the song even more.

T: Nick Jonas produced the single, “Learn to Fly.” What was that experiencelike?

BC: It was pretty crazy. I think at first we were like, “Oh my god, Nick must be this hard kind of guy” and then we realized that he’s just a cool, normal guy and he’s super talented for his age. It was great working with him. I think vocally, it kind of opened a lot of new ideas for me. He’s a legend and on top he’s a great singer and I think having him critique me and helping out with the song that was a big accomplishment for me. So, I think it was a great opportunity for all of us.

T: What are the band’s plans after the release of the second album? Will you ever sign to a major label?

BC: We’ll be going on tour with Owl City which is going to be super fun. After Owl City, we have a video game coming out for the iPhone and the Droid, which is very exciting. It’s going to be a scrolling kind of action adventure kind of thing. It showcases our hidden talents which can be really funny to see. You might not know from the things that we’re capable of doing, but I think the video game will definitely show that. We have a couple of other surprises that I can’t really say just yet but it’s probably coming up for the New Year.

We’re not opposed to signing. It’s always an option. I think that’s the topic that we really try to keep vague but labels are always an option and if the right thing comes along. But we have a really great team right now that has got us where we are but we will want to get signed soon.

Action Item will be performing with Owl City in New York City on the Sept. 11 at Irving Plaza. For tickets and more info, go to ticketmaster.com