Fashion Forward: Spring Style Savvy

Say goodbye to winter woes and say hello to spring bliss. It’s time to shed those winter layers and welcome the over-the-top spring season. Bold colors, stripes, patterns and wash-stoned denims are about to make their way into your wardrobe.

Pump up your wardrobe with crazy bright neons like electric lime greens, pinks and lavenders. You can layer these colors with neutral tones like khaki or with solid prints for an illuminating look. To make an even bolder statement, color block by pairing bright tones on top of the other.

From tribal to animal to floral, prints are one of the biggest spring trends, especially on Fashion Week’s Spring 2011 runways. A tip from Glamour.com is to mix and match patterns but try to stick to a maximum of two to three prints. Stripes continue to be one of the biggest patterns of the spring season, bringing out the nautical flavor in any outfit.

The ’70s are back and in full effect. From the high waist denims to peasant tops and flowing maxi halters, the hippy glamour is bringing a retro feel to spring fashion. Crochet in shades of blue and pink sands is a great way to add the ’70s vibe to any outfit. The trend is versatile, affordable and easily accessible. Check out thrift stores for secondhand pieces.

The neo-punk look will still be filling the streets this spring. Spice up your wardrobe by adding a studded biker jacket like the Burberry Prorsum spiked one  worn by various celebrities such as Kate Bosworth and Sarah Jessica Parker paired with slashed tops and cut-up shorts. Lace will also span in the spring season. It’s not only very feminine but also formable. Lace remains chic with delicate, quality fabrics in a variety of colors. Menswear for the ladies is another favorite spring trend. Pair a white or black tuxedo blazer with stone-washed denims and oxfords for a casual day look.

Whoever says intimates are only for use under clothes are unaware of this season’s prime trends. Lingerie tops, whether sheer, laced or even floral are no longer cover ups but are making their debut on the outside. In the March 2011 issue of Elle on newsstands now, Style Director Joe Zee shows the stars of MTV’s Skins how to add this modern trend to any outfit.

Bright colors aren’t the only ones making a splash, white has become the new “black.” It can help transform  any  outfit  and  is  a  brilliant  way  to  make  a  powerful fashion statement.

The flirty wear of the ’60s is also making a comeback. From the hip-hugging silhouettes to the baby doll dresses, the ’60s glam is giving spring fashion an extra burst of energy. The era that popularized British supermodel Twiggy is returning with full circle skirts and A-line dresses.  

Ladies can’t be the only ones looking hot this spring. The spring trends for the men are just as bold and

colorful. Gentlemen, try a double-breasted jacket for an elegant tailored feel or hit the streets in vivid citrus and pink shades to bring a splash of color to your outfit. Don’t forget to get a little edgy with a biker jacket or skull patterns.

No matter the season, remember to bring a bright personality to match. Style does not just come from the clothes being worn, but from the person who wears it.