Top Five Museums to Check Out On a Rainy Day

PHOTO/FLICKR COMONS

The city is quiet, except for the drops of rain hitting the pavement. Don’t let rainy days in New York City get you down. There are plenty of things you can do to beat the rain and have some adventure.

Hit the ground running by visiting some of the finest museums in town.

Let’s start with the Museum of Modern Art, located in Midtown Manhattan. The MoMa is home to some amazing artists like Vincent Van Gogh and Jackson Pollock.

Explore the galleries floor to floor. And if you are feeling tired, grab a cup of coffee in a café located right in the building.

The varieties of exhibits hold everything from architecture, painting, and photography. Open everyday from 10:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., this museum can be a nice stop to avoid the outside world.

So stay dry and visit some amazing art all in one day.

Since the weather isn’t slowing us down, the American Museum of Natural History is another great find when trying to escape New York’s ever-changing forecast.

Located on the Upper West Side, it exhibits some of the world’s greatest historical finds. Animals, plants, fossils and cultural artifacts fill the rooms of one of the largest museums in the world.

Have you ever seen dinosaurs or animals that have been extinct for centuries? If you haven’t, come to the Museum of Natural History where these animals come to life right before your eyes. They are open daily from 10 a.m. to 5:45 p.m., a perfect place for exploration.

But let’s get away from the hype of Manhattan and scurry toward the Brooklyn side of things.

The Brooklyn Museum is the place to go for American art. They open their doors at 11a.m. on Wednesday through Sunday.

They are highly noted for their collection of antiquities coming from Egyptian, African, Oceanic, and Japanese art from over 3,000 years. Brooklyn is one of the many boroughs known for its diverse and creative community and the Brooklyn Museum embodies the same characteristics.

Not only is art their forte, you can also experience their unique set of exhibitions and fun filled events that will have you inspired.

The next stop on the list is also located in Brooklyn. Since transportation during a rainy day will become your best friend, what better way to pay homage than to visit the New York Transit Museum?

It displays the old New York City Subway, commuter rail, bus, bridge and tunnel services that we still use today. In the borough of Brooklyn this museum will take you back in time to see how the world of transportation has evolved.

From the past to the present, step inside the subway station at the corner of Boerum Place and Schermerhorn Street in Downtown Brooklyn Tuesday to Friday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Saturday and Sundays from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Last but certainly not least we have Madame Tussauds. Also known as the Wax Museum.

This unique museum will help you dodge the crowds of Times Square and also keep you from under your umbrellas.

Not only will you be hanging out with some of your celebrity crushes, you will even be able to snap a selfie, which will last forever.

This is a great find when you are just trying to find a fun and spontaneous adventure. Scarlett Johansson, Johnny Depp, Taylor Lautner, Anne Hathaway and many more A-List favorites are all stationed in the wax museum.

But these are only a few of the Museums that flood the streets of New York. If you just look close enough you are bound to find something you like.

The puddles of rain that hit your boots on the pavement shouldn’t stop you from enjoying the array of art that hangs from the walls of the world’s coolest museums.