Career Week draws to a close

Career Week ends today with the Fall Career Fair in Taffner Fieldhouse.

More than 100 potential employers will be there to accept resumes for internships, as well as full-time and part-time positions. Companies include GEICO, Wells Fargo, MTV and Abercrombie & Fitch.

The Career Center organized Career Week, a week-long series of events focusing on getting students ready to enter the job market, for the first time this year.

Patricia McManus, director of the Career Center, said she wants students to become aware of the opportunities the Center offers throughout the year and believes that this week will help do so.

“We’ve been working on repackaging our events, trying to create a little buzz about what we have to offer,” she said.

Career Week kicked off Sept. 29, with the Fall Academic Internship Fair. More than 850 students attended the fair, meeting with representatives from more than 100 companies, such as Cablevision, Sirius XM Radio and Time, Inc. McManus said that students should keep their options open and not limit themselves to one type of organization.

“Almost every industry needs a wide array of employees, so students need to look where they least expect to find a job,” she said.

Students were given helpful internship tips at a presentation by MTV.

Suzanne Rosenthal, director of College Relations at MTV Networks, spoke to students about how to go about getting internships, as well as the opportunities at MTV and its affiliates, including positions in production, business, or managing video libraries.

Rosenthal informed students that MTV Networks gets thousands of internship applicants a year and that they can only accept upperclassmen.

Rosenthal spoke about the laid-back office environment at MTV.

“On any given day you could see somebody skateboarding down the hallway or hear someone blasting music in their office,” she said.

Rosenthal said students should try to intern during their last semester of college so that they will be fresh in the memories of the people they worked with. She also said students should keep in touch with co-workers in case any jobs become available or need a reference for other jobs. She also spoke about the importance of being punctual and keeping good attendance during an internship.

Freshman Brandon Prescott, said he thought the seminar was helpful.

“Hopefully I can take the advice given to me here and apply it to getting an internship anywhere I want, whether it be MTV in the future or something else right now,” he said.

Students who attended the internship fair had mixed reactions.

“I thought it was okay in concept but there were not enough companies there,” said Andrew Mello, a junior.

Senior Susan Choi shared similar feelings.

“There were a lot of companies that most people hadn’t heard of,” she said. “The only thing that really upset me was that there wasn’t a lot of opportunities for broadcast journalists.”

<i>Additional reporting by

Anthony O’Reilly</i>