Marijuana regulations loosened in 3 states, D.C.

Voters in three states including the District of Columbia voted to legalize marijuana after last week’s midterm election, while Florida couldn’t get all the votes required to approve the measure.

Pro-marijuana voters in Florida almost approved Amendment 2, which would have legalized medical marijuana, but was short of just three points of the 60 percent supermajority votes required to approve the measure.  Over 3.3 million voters were “for” the legalization of medical marijuana, according to an LA Times graphic.

Alaska’s Ballot Measure 2, which allows people 21 and older to possess up to an ounce of weed and six plants, received more than 52 percent of votes on Nov. 4, according to the LA Times graphic. Ballot 2 also makes the manufacture, sale, taxation and processing of marijuana legal in the state.

Measure 91 in Oregon won more than 55 percent of votes, allowing people of age 21 and over to possess up to eight ounces of marijuana, as well as the in-state manufacturing, processing, taxing and sale of the plant.

In Washington, D.C., people over 21 years of age can also own up to two ounces of marijuana and grow six plants after Initiative 71 won over 69 percent of votes.

Alaska, Oregon and D.C. are the latest states to loosen regulation and allow use of marijuana, which is still federally illegal. Penalties for marijuana possession, sale and cultivation vary from a one-year misdemeanor charge to life in prison.

In New York, a 30-day supply of non-smoking marijuana may be prescribed by a doctor for certain illnesses, such as cancer and HIV/AIDS for a $50 fee.