First Democratic debate set for Oct. 13

The donkey serves as the popular symbol of the Democratic party.

The first Democratic debate of the 2016 presidential race is set to take place next Tuesday, Oct. 13. Candidates, such as frontrunner Hillary Clinton, and even some lesser-known, such as Jim Webb, will take the stage on CNN to answer questions in the debate.

CNN is giving viewers the opportunity to submit questions for the candidates via Facebook or Instagram videos with #DemDebate.

“I’m hoping to hear them discuss some international issues such as Russia and ISIS [and] potentially climate change,” senior Tate Rountree said. “I also think it will be interesting if the leaders of the debate touch on Hillary’s email scandal,” he said.

As the viewers are submitting questions, we can expect to hear a range of topics discussed, from foreign to economic policies, to topics specific to each candidate.

Sophomore Sydney Fucci said that she hopes to hear clear and concise views from all candidates, specifically on the issue of “Black Lives Matter.”

Fucci expressed support for Sanders, discussing his stance on racial inequality in the United States.

“Bernie has been in support of African American rights since the civil rights era, I think he has been diligently working to prove to Americans that he truly cares regardless of your race, gender, age or socioeconomic level,” she said.

Sanders has also presented a strong stance on higher education, presenting a plan to make all four year, public institutions free; a stance that has made him increasingly popular amongst college students.

“That’s the way it should be. The monopoly that universities have on young people in America is absurd,” said Rountree.

Absent from the debate will be potential candidate Vice President Joe Biden. As the clock to enter the race ticks, Biden has cited various factors, most importantly, the recent death of his son, Beau, as a reason he may not elect to enter the race.

With two GOP debates complete, Americans can hope to gain more clarity on the state of the Democratic Party and its candidates’ policies in the upcoming debate. Tune in to hear more on Oct. 13 at 9 p.m. ET on CNN.