N.Y. primary sees Trump and Clinton with ‘Yuge’ victories

Tuesday night’s New York primary saw big wins for former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and real estate tycoon Donald Trump, both who have called the Empire State their home in the past.

The twain candidates beat their opponents in a landslide win, with Trump gaining 60 percent of votes, and Clinton with a close 58 percent, according to the Associated Press.

Both winners were joined by their family members, with Trump’s children Tiffany and Donald Jr. standing behind him, while wife Melania and daughter Ivanka shadowed at the side. Former president Bill Clinton, along with daughter Chelsea Clinton and New York Mayor Bill de Blasio stood by the Democratic winner during her victory speech.

During his speech in the Trump Tower, the same venue he used to announce his presidential bid last June, Trump notably dismissed Republican contender Ted Cruz, declaring that “we don’t have much of a race anymore. Sen. Cruz is just about mathematically eliminated.” Cruz placed last in votes with a low 15 percent, while Kasich followed Trump with 25 percent.

Trump also emphasized his opposition to trade deals, and named large entrepreneurs, such as business magnates Carl Icahn and Steven Roth, who plan to support his combat to these agreements. “We’re going to use our great business people to negotiate trade deals, so we’ll bring our jobs back and don’t let our companies go to Mexico and all of these our countries anymore,” he said.

In a midtown Sheraton hotel, Clinton’s fans flagged “fighting for us” signs while the Democratic candidate affirmed “victory is in sight,” as the race for the Nov. 8 presidential nomination draws closer.

While the party winner highlighted personal stories, Clinton also honed in on Trump and Cruz’s ideals and political principles, such as their opposition in increasing federal minimum wage, women’s rights, and immigration, among others. “These things go against everything America stands for, and we have a very different vision,” she said. “It’s about lifting each other up, not tearing each other down.”

Clinton argued with Trump’s public declaration to build walls as borders against Mexico, adding, “Instead of building walls, we’re going to break down barriers.”

Other key issues touched upon in her speech included the gun control, the Flint, Michigan water crisis, and equal pay.

In ending her speech, Clinton paid tribute to the Erica Smegielski, the daughter of the school principal who was killed during the 2012 Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting. Clinton used Smegielski’s experience in losing her mother, connecting it to the main motto of her campaign: moving forward.

“The motto of this state is excelsior, ever upward,” she said. “So let’s go out and win this election, and all rise together.”