Peace week advocates unity

Yearly, International Day of Peace is celebrated worldwide, and this year it lands on Sept. 21. Declared by the United Nations, this year’s International Day of Peace advocates the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, as stated on the International Day of Peace website.

During the week of Sept. 19-23, Catholic Relief Services (CRS) will present a campus wide, fun-filled week to promote this sustainability project in collaboration with other school organizations. On the first day of Peace week, many will come together to debut their talents for CRS’s Peace Concert.

This includes singing, spoken word, dancing and even playing an instrument. It will be held on the Great Lawn from 12-4 p.m. By being there, you may also catch a reading from the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

The next day, Sept. 20, Habitat for Humanity will be advocating affordable housing by shining a light on homelessness called ShantyTown, all day in front of D’Angelo Center, on the Great Lawn and by Montgoris Dining Hall.

In the afternoon, CRS members will ask students to buy a footlong sandwich at the Subway in Marillac in order to donate half of it to the homeless.

That night, students are also welcomed to join the annual “Red Sleeps Out” event. Students will be able to experience homelessness, by sleeping outside from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m.

Then on Wednesday, Sept. 21, CRS organized stress-reliever meditations in front of the Sun Yat Sen building at 10 a.m., 4 p.m. and 8 p.m.

That following night Stress Busters will be giving free massages in the DAC coffee house from 5-7 p.m.

CRS also has an event during common hour on Thursday, Sept. 22. In Marillac Terrace, students can show their creativeness by writing letters to Veterans and postcards to refugees.

Lastly, there will be a ‘Peace Vigil’ on Friday, Sept. 23, at the St. Thomas Moore Church at 2 p.m.

There will be a ceremonial planting of lavender during the vigil, as CRS hopes to have the St. John’s community, “pray that peace takes root right on our campus and spreads throughout our community and world!”