SGI floor meeting: Dialogue with Dining Services, new constitution still being drafted

COURTESY OF/STUDENT GOVERNMENT INC.

Student Government Inc.’s (SGI) floor meeting on April 3 brought important conversations about SGI constitution changes, the anticipated response of the meal plan controversy and more.

St. John’s Dining Services was faced with an uproar of student voices opposing the implementation of a mandatory meal plan for Townhouse residents beginning the next academic year. After SGI members met with administrators, they had a better understanding of the reasoning and motives behind the change, according to Frank Obermeyer, current SGI secretary and president-elect.

President Chiara Miuccio also announced that this year there will not be a Spring Concert. The rest of the floor meeting was taken over by a discussion of the 2016-2017 final allocation requests.

The last request for allocations was supposed to be submitted a week before the meeting was held; all allocations were approved after some discussion of what the events would entail.

AD Club had asked for two separate allocations for different events.

The first allocation was approved without an argument. Representatives were hesitant of approving the second allocation request due to the large amount just being used for speaking fees for a different, but a very similar event.

After budget approvals, Larissa Kukapa and Deven Rodriguez, SGI’s new representatives, were sworn in. Miuccio went on to clarify the changes being made to the SGI constitution.

While the constitution is still being drafted so nothing is finalized yet, she said that the edits being made are to change the language of the constitution to be more accurate and follow a more organized format. A no-discrimination clause is also in motion to be added to the constitution.

“One change to the constitution is meant to lower quorum, which will allow us to get business done at more meetings,” Obermeyer said in a later exchange with the Torch. Quorum indicates the minimum number of people needed to vote on issues.

“Other changes have been put in place to lessen the requirements for running for e-board, allowing more students to have the ability to run for those top positions,”  Obermeyer added.