Real Heroes Wear Badges, Not Ball Caps

In what was the worst week in American history since September 11th, 2001, the United States showed why it’s the greatest country in the world. This week we were all Bostonians, we were all residents of Waco and we were all once New Yorkers. Most importantly, we are Americans and we are all bonded
together by the red, white, and blue of this great nation.

Friday’s capture not only brought peace, but also closure on the week that the world will never forget. The closure brought back a sense of normalcy not only to the city of Boston, but the rest of the country as well. No more worry, no more fear. With normalcy restored, citizens can now go rub errands or relax and watch their favorite teams take the field again.

Last week showed a unity amongst the country, none more apparent in the world of sports, whether it was the Pittsburgh Penguins logo wearing a Boston Bruins jersey, numerous Boston Strong decals and of course Sweet Caroline played at every ball park in America.

Sports will take away the burden, they’ll give you that sense of normalcy, hopefully they’ll give me a job. But the unconditional love that was spread for each city was a great scene.

With the Red Sox, Bruins and Celtics all going back to work on Saturday, Bostonians can finally appreciate their heroes. No I’m not talking about Paul Pierce, Tyler Seguin, or Daniel Nava, who hit the game-winning home run on Saturday afternoon. I’m talking about the brave men and women who worked 12-hour shifts to ensure relief to the great city of Boston as well as the rest of the country.

Many sports fans will call their favorite athletes their heroes, to each is own, but remember this: every time David Ortiz, Tom Brady and Kevin Garnett take the floor they’ll probably make it home safely after the game.

Every time a first responder leaves his or her house they can’t say for certain that they’ll be home tonight. Remember that. It’s nice to idolize someone who can hit a ball 400 feet, who can throw a tight spiral, or dunk a basketbal, but they aren’t the ones risking their lives so you can sit back and watch a batter hit the ball 400 feet, the quarterback who rallies his team for the fourth quarter comeback, or the high flying baller.