Mooney Shines In Boston as Johnnies Head to PR

This weekend the Track and Field team completed their last indoor meet at the ECAC championships at the Boston University Armory.  The team finished 10th overall in team standings with 23 points.

“We are very proud of our second top 10 team showing at the ECAC Championships, head coach Jim Hurt said. “Claire Mooney was stellar today with her win in the 500 meters and as the anchor leg on our runner-up 4×400 meter relay team.  We are looking forward to continued success in the upcoming outdoor season.”

Mooney ran 1:12.68 in the finals and the team also placed second in the 4×400 meter relay. In addition to defending her title, Mooney also won the Big East title in this event a few weeks back.  She also was one of the athletes that competed in the 4×400 meter relay at the 2013 NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Championships in Eugene, Ore last spring. “I was happy to defend the title I won last year,” Mooney said. “We all did a really great job in finishing second in the relay. I hope to get a big personal best outdoors in the 400 meters and continue enjoying competing with my team.”

Other honorable performances included senior captain Rikka Lovely, who closed out her final indoor meet with two gold medals, a silver medal and two of her personal best records.  Her 7.48 in the 60 meter dash was her new personal best and ranked third all time at St. Johns which was .07 seconds faster then the runner-up.  Her 23.92 in the 200-meter gave her the second fastest time in school history, runner-up and All-Big East honors.

The team looks forward to begin their outdoor season starting on the 22nd with a trip to Puerto Rico.