Men’s Soccer falls to Brown after allowing early goal

Two straight Tuesday night games, two Ivy League opponents, only one win.

The No. 22 St. John’s men’s soccer team escaped Yale last Tuesday with an overtime win, but after allowing an early goal Tuesday against No. 13 Brown in just the 3rd minute of play, the Red Storm were shut out the rest of the way en route to a 1-0 loss.

“Brown has a great soccer program and this was a great college soccer game,” head coach Dave Masur said. “We were disappointed to give up the early goal, but we played hard and I am proud of the effort.”

Evan Coleman’s one-timer beat goalkeeper Rafael Diaz from 18 yards out to give the Bears the early lead. That was all goalkeeper Paul Grandstrand would need, making seven saves against 17 St. John’s (6-4-0) shots.

The opportunities were plentiful, but the Red Storm could not find the back of the net. In the 10th minute, Dom Sarle’s missed shot resulted in two corner kick attempts that Brown’s (7-0-2) defenders knocked away.

Minutes later, Diaz saved a shot by Brown’s Thomas McNamara, and a blocked Omar Edwards shot led to another corner kick that was stopped by Brown defenders.

In the 30th minute, Adam Himeno’ shot was blocked, and two minutes later Tadeu Terra’s header missed high.

Terra took the next two attempts for the Red Storm. He created space and curled a shot that sailed high in the 39th minute and followed up with a shot from the endline two minutes later that Grandstrand stopped for an impressive save.

Brown had another scoring opportunity early in the second half when a close-range shot from Sean Rosa that Diaz saved. Diaz made another save two minutes later to keep the deficit within a goal.

St. John’s had multiple attempts in the 64th minute as shots by Terra and Pablo Punyed were stopped. In the 71st minute, Himeno had another attempt that Grandstrand stopped.

St. John’s best chance of the game came in the 79th minute, when Sarle had a point-blank attempt that Grandstrand stopped. The shot resulted in neither another scoring chance or corner kick.

The Red Storm had their fifth corner kick of the game near the 87th minute, when Walter Hines’ shot was blocked.  Himeno’s ensuing shot was knocked away.

St. John’s returns to conference play Saturday when Cincinnati visits Belson Stadium