Johnnies eastbound and down

The St. John’s men’s soccer team’s streak of six straight shutouts was snapped last Wednesday by Marquette in the first round of the Big East Tournament, as well as its opportunity to defend its Big East Tournament title.

The Johnnies went 628:26 without allowing a goal, but allowed three against Marquette, and fell to the Golden Eagles 3-1 in front of 988 fans at Belson Stadium. Freshman goalkeeper Rafael Diaz came within 45:07 of tying the school record shutout record set by Jason Landers in 2006.

“Marquette played very well tonight in what was an exciting soccer game,” said head coach Dave Masur. “We’re disappointed with the result, but I thought we did well to battle back and even the score and continue to create good chances from there.”

The Red Storm fell behind early when Marquette’s Calum Mallace found Amilcar Herrera for the Golden Eagles’ first goal, following a throw-in from Michael Alfano. The Golden Eagles put pressure on the St. John’s defense throughout the offensive possession, forcing two straight corner kicks and the throw-in.

St. John’s answered right back, drawing corner kicks in the 15th, 16th, and 17th minutes, but was unable to even the score.

In the 42nd minute, St. John’s tied it, as sophomore forward Omar Edwards tore through the Marquette defense and fired a rising shot that hit the crossbar. Junior forward Walter Hines collected the rebound and ripped a shot that found the back of the net.

St. John’s took four shots on goal in the first half but had only the three early corner kicks. Both teams had one final scoring chance before the half, as Diaz stopped a shot by TeeJay East in the final minute before the half and redshirt freshman midfielder Jimmy Mulligan sent a shot wide as the half ended. Diaz made five saves in the game.

Marquette tested Diaz just 18 seconds into the second half and again in the 57th minute, but finally broke through in the 77th minute when Anthony Colaizzi fielded a loose ball and beat the St. John’s keeper from 15 yards out. Mallace added another goal three minutes later from 20 yards out to make the score 3-1.   

St. John’s had multiple chances in the 60th, 63rd, 64th, and 70th minutes, but couldn’t capitalize. The Red Storm took five shots in the second half, all of which were stopped by Marquette goalkeeper David Check.

St. John’s will have to earn an at-large bid to the 48-team NCAA Tournament. The NCAA selection show, televised by ESPN, is scheduled for Nov. 15 at 4:30 p.m.