Softball drops final three at ECU

For the second straight week, the St. John’s Softball team dropped three of five games, suffering defeats in the final three games of the Pirate Classic in Greenville, N.C. last weekend.

Despite winning both games on Friday against Kent State and East Carolina, the Red Storm were outscored by a total of 22 runs in the next three—all losses.

In the first game, which was held on Friday afternoon, the Red Storm defeated a very respectable Kent State team, who ended last season with a 33-22 record, by a score of 3-2.

Ace right-hander Kat Lawrence went the distance with a seven-inning complete game. The senior allowed just two earned runs on five hits, while being awarded her second victory of the season.

The first five hitters in the St. John’s lineup all reached base with at least one hit apiece.

Junior center fielder Kristi Cady led the offense with a 2-for-3 showing at the plate, while driving in two runs.

Senior right fielder Chelsea Durning finished the game going 2-for-3 with one run and a walk. The walk, her 64th of her career, helped place Durning atop the program’s all-time walk record.

The Red Storm took the second game of the Pirate Classic in a 6-5 extra inning victory over East Carolina.

Senior right-hander Linzee Sumrall started the game, pitching 5 1/3 innings and allowing three earned runs. Lawrence finished the nine-inning affair, tossing three shutout innings, while earning her third victory of the season.

Cady again went 2-for-3 in the day’s second game, while adding her first home run of the season in the third inning. The solo home run was the second big fly of the season for the cleanup hitter, who also added a second later in the game.

Despite dropping the next three games of the Classic, the Red Storm remain optimistic with plenty of games left to improve on their 3-6 record.

“I thought we played well this past weekend and our big wins over Kent State and East Carolina really showed what we are capable of when we play up to our potential,” said Durning. “We had some big performances at the plate from Kristi Cady and we continue to improve in all facets of the game. We’re looking forward to this coming weekend’s games in Lubbock.”

Lubbock, Texas will be the next destination for the Red Storm as they take part in the Jeannine McHaney Memorial Classic, facing Wichita State, Texas Tech and Northern Illinois.