Selakovic Leads Way In Last Fall Meet

The St. John’s women’s tennis team’s fall season came to an end this past weekend at the USTA/ITA Women’s Northeast Regional Tournament in West Point, New York.

The Red Storm were led by the play of freshman standout Amber Washington and the consistent play of Senior Nevena Selakovic. Both advanced to the round of 32.

Selakovic, who is the Johnnies’ captain, earned a first-round bye in the singles bracket of the tournament, where she advanced take on Army’s Erin Colton.

She defeated Colton with a decisive victory in two sets, 6-3, 6-2. This was the third victory of her fall season. Selakovic then advanced to play the University of Pennsylvania product Sol Eskenazi, she lost in three sets, 6-0, 4-6, 6-4.

Freshman Amber Washington also had a productive tournament. She was the 59th seeded player and went on to defeat the 66th seed Kelsey Shea of Colgate University in three sets. She then beat Stephanie Do of the University of Pennsylvania in two sets.

However, Washington was defeated in the round of 32 by Hannah Camhi of Brown in two sets.

Selakovic and Washington also earned a doubles victory over conference rival UConn while junior Diamond Adams and senior Ksenia Mikhaylova defeated another Big East Rival, Rutgers, in two sets.

“Overall, I’m pretty pleased with our fall results,” said St. John’s head coach Taka Bertrand in a press release. “I think we improved with each tournament and I was also happy with the performance of our new players. We’re looking forward
to the spring season.”

The Johnnies will begin their spring season Jan. 20 against Boston University.