Homer Leads List of Fencers Bound for NCAA’s

Carnesecca Arena hosted the 2013 NCAA Northeast Regionals on Sunday, and the St John’s fencing team stepped up on their home turf, seeing 11 of its competitors qualify for the NCAA Championships in San Antonio, out of the maximum of 12.

The Red Storm had high expectations for themselves, and managed to meet them throughout the day.Redshirt senior Daryl Homer, St. John’s star competitor and 2012 Olympian, placed first in the men’s saber.

Despite placing first, Homer was disappointed not to go undefeated on the day, losing two of his matches.

“I was definitely hoping to win, but I was really hoping to go undefeated,” he said. “My expectations are to win again.”

Head coach Yury Gelman, like Homer, has high expectations for his star fencer.

“Daryl did just OK,” Gelman said. “It’s a very different and difficult level of competition.”

But Gelman was happy with the way his team competed as a whole.

“So far we have met our expectations,” he said. “They just did their jobs. They just qualified. All they have to do is qualify.”

Homer has won two NCAA Championships, and this was his third Regional gold medal.

While Homer’s win might have been predictable, the Johnnies got a less expected gold medal from junior Alina Ferdman in women’s epee.

Ferdman, a native of Israel, posted a 32-20 regular season record and was Second Team All-American in 2012. This was her first gold medal after coming close with a silver medal at the 2011 NCAA Regionals.

Michele Caporizzi, who finished fourth in men’s epee, kept with the theme of high expectations, disappointed with his performance despite qualifying for the NCAA Championships.

“The competition was not too good, but I’m still happy that I qualified,” she said. “I don’t make it complicated. I have a lot of pride, and I don’t want to lose.”