Montez Strikes Again at GWU Invitational

The St. John’s softball team went 1-3 at the GWU Capital Invitational Tournament last weekend.

The Red Storm’s (6-20-1) lone victory was a 6-0 win against Akron on Sunday after losing to the Zips 14-1 on Saturday.

“One of the most valuable lessons that our team can learn as we head into Big East play is how to respond to adversity, which is what we were able to accomplish against Akron,” said St. John’s head coach Amy Kvilhaug. “I was proud of the way that our team came back from a tough opening day to respond with a win over a good team.”

Chrissy Montez was the Johnnies’ impact performer, recording six hits and nine RBI. Two of the six hits were home runs – she has six on the season.

The senior infielder’s best game came on Saturday in a 11-6 loss to Drexel. She went 4-4 with one home run.
Despite the weekend losses, Kvilhaug is confident heading into Big East play.

“One of our goals annually is to make the Big East Tournament and compete to be one of the top teams in our conference,” Kvilhaug said. “Lessons like the ones we learned this weekend about responding to adversity can only help us in our quest to meet those goals.”

The Johnnies will open conference play on March 23 when they travel to Pennsylvania to face Pittsburgh for a three-game set.

“Starting this week, everyone is 0-0 in Big East play, which is a message I have emphasized to the team,” Kvilhaug said.

“It was at the start of conference play last year that our team really clicked and began the run to the Big East semifinals. Our hope is that we can continue to work on the little things to make a similar run this year and compete for a second-straight bid to the Big East Tournament.”