First time’s a charm

Red Storm upset No. 3 UCF for first dance victory

The women’s soccer team pulled of an upset of the University of Central Florida Knights as they won 3-1. The win was the program’s first ever NCAA Tournament victory.

“We played with tremendous heart tonight,” said head coach Ian Stone. “We battled, defended well and had a good counter attack tonight.”

The Red Storm were led by freshman keeper Diana Poulin who saved the day for the Red Storm as she had her best game of the season as she dove all over place stopping every ball that came her way.  The offense was able to take advantage of all three shots they had on the night as they scored on all three attempts.

“For a freshman like Diana to play that well was very impressive and amazing to watch,” said Coach Stone.

The No. 14 Red Storm (11-5-3, 4-4-2 Big East) had a tough test in trying to go into the first round of the NCAA Tournament versus the No. 3 UCF (16-2-4, 9-0-2 AAC) at the UCF Soccer Complex on Saturday night.  The Knights came into the game with an 18-gam undefeated streak.

In what was expected to be a game that was ruled by defensive play, The Red Storm and UCF Knights turned up their offensive and very physical play throughout the game.

The scoring was started by in the 17minute by the Knights’ Tatiana Coleman on deep strike from outside the 18-yard box. Coleman’s shot was hit with such force that St. John’s goalie Diana Poulin didn’t have the opportunity to make a play on the shot.

The Red Storm fired right back after the UCF score after Coach Stone changed the formation to a 4-4-2.

In the 18 minute Freshman Miranda Haraughty came streaking down the left side of the field and shot a booming kick, assisted by Rachel Daly, to the right corner of the net for the goal, her second on the season.

“Miranda is a great goal scorer,” said Stone. “She is really coming into her own. She has scored two big goals for us, the one versus Butler and the one she had tonight.”

A few minutes later Amy Marron came down the right side of the field, juking a UCF defender above the 18- yard box, and shot the ball towards the Knights goal. The shot went of the head of the Knights Marissa Diggs and into the back of the UCF goal. The Red storm went into the half with a lead against the UCF Knights, 2-1.

In the second half Rachel Daly continued her historic season scoring her 23rd goal on the year as the Knights’ keeper Lianne Maldonado unsuccessfully came out of the net to try and stop her. This gave St. John’s a 3-1 lead.

The Red Storm’s victory over UCF will send them to the second round of the NCAA Tournament to face the Arkansas Razorbacks on Nov. 22at 5p.m. in Durham North Carolina.