Student Leader: Fabrice Armand

Fabrice Armand knows exactly what it means to be involved, and the entire St. John’s family knows how much he means to the campus community. With the numerous leadership activities in which he is involved, one might consider him a role model for other students, but he sees it differently.

“I don’t consider myself as a role model. All I am is an individual, trying to do my best,” he said, “but I did hear of this one particular man as a freshman, Patrick Lespimesee, and how much he did for St. John’s and the community and I decided to myself that I wanted to be him. So, with him in mind, I became involved.”

Armand’s involvement on campus is extensive. He is the vice president of the Haitian Society, an Orientation Leader, a Resident Assistant and is the Student Activities and Services chairman for Student Government.

Armand acknowledges the people in his life that led him on his way and made it possible for him to be on top; these people include his friends and Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity brothers. They have supported and helped him with his many activities.

“They are always there when I need them and I can always count on them because they have always come through for me in the past,” he said.

Born in Haiti, his mother’s homeland, Armand moved to Queens when he was 14 years old-just in time for high school. He admits that he found the move to be a little difficult and very different.

“The two cultures of New York and Haiti are very much different. People used to make fun of me when I first got here and the people in Haiti were always so friendly,” he said.

“I did not want to come here, at first, to a new country. I enjoyed living there. It was great and I had a lot of fun. When I came here I saw that there were many opportunities to become well-off by going to college, and I liked that.”

Armand was accepted to Cornell and Columbia, but decided to go to St. John’s because of the financial aid package offered by the school and its close proximity to his home.

Armand enjoys St. John’s and feels that some of the professors and activities on campus are great. “The activities here on campus taught me a lot about responsibility and what it means to get involved. I have also learned a lot on how to manage and balance my time from being an orientation leader to also being an RA,” he said.

Despite Armand’s immense love for St. John’s, he realizes that change is needed and can come in many forms. Armand believes that each person has different needs and views on what changes need to be made. Issues that matter to him may not matter to the next person. However, people must still strive for change.

“All it takes is for one person, one individual to make a change. All it takes is that one person to be dedicated to make a change, and change will only happen if we make it happen,” he said.

Armand has only one piece of advice to the student body. “Try to make your college experience a good one. College is only what you make out of it. Also, get out, get involved and support student organizations.”

After graduation, Armand plans to become a prominent lawyer and then eventually become a federal court judge.