Torch Photo / Abigail Grieco
Surviving Senioritis as a Second-Semester Senior

Making a List and Checking it Twice

There are two words that I absolutely cannot stand. Any mention of them makes my blood boil and puts me in an aggregated state.

You would think that the combination of words would be something like “genital warts” or “sexual deviant.”

But even phrases like that can’t compare when it comes to – Connecticut Huskies.

Could there be anything worse?

I know that the only thing better than a St. John’s win is a UConn loss, and when both things can happen in the same athletic event, then there’s nothing that can beat it.

Last week, the volleyball team pulled out a hard-fought, five-set victory over the Huskies, the first time in the program’s history that they had beaten UConn.

Not only was it the first win, it was the first time that the Red Storm weren’t swept by Connecticut.

Now, it’s time for another sport to go out and get the job done.

This Friday night, the St. John’s men’s soccer team will be taking on Connecticut at Belson Stadium at 8 p.m.

The following 20 reasons entail why every member of the St. John’s community should attend the match.

1. St. John’s has won only one of the last six matches against Connecticut – a period that I like to refer to as “the recent unpleasantness.”

Last year’s Big East Championship victory was the only time since 1996 that the Johnnies defeated the Huskies.

The overall series is 8-8-1. We need to support the return to a previous era, a time when the Red Storm won seven in a row in this series.

2. Because it’s UConn.

3. Whoever wins this game will probably win the regular season conference title and get the top seed for the Big East Tournament.

And unlike last year’s Big East Tourney, which was played in Storrs, Conn. (a.k.a The Backwoods of the North) this time around UConn won’t enjoy the home-field advantage.

4. Because it’s UConn.

5. This is our house. No one comes into our house and pushes us around. Not only is this our house, it’s taking place in the St. John’s Nike Tournament. As the host, we need to thoroughly throttle them.

6. Because it’s UConn.

7. UConn fans are notorious for following their teams around the Northeast.

They will flock to this game by the busload. We need to fill Belson Stadium just to spite those Huskies fans who upon arriving for the game, will learn that no seats are available.

There should be a sea of red surrounding the field, the only blue and white to be seen should be from the Connecticut uniforms.

8. Because it’s UConn.

9. Hatch’s Hecklers. Come join Josh Hatch and the rest of his rowdy group as they launch verbal assaults at the visiting team.

Your targets will be the following players – Damiani Ralph and Cesar Cuellar, who are the top two goal scorers in the Big East, and goalie Adam Schuerman. Not only is Schuerman a freshman, but he’s also from Wisconsin. Take this information and make him wish he never left Milwaukee.

As a side note, the opposing goalie will take the worst abuse. I still don’t think Seton Hall keeper Alex McDonald has recovered from last week and what he got was nothing compared to the goalies from Wake Forest, Notre Dame and Pittsburgh.

Word is that Hatch and his crew have a little something planned for Huskies coach Ray Reid as well.

10. Because it’s UConn.

11. This is the only scheduled meeting between the two teams. There may not be another chance to beat UConn, so we need to take advantage of the opportunity.

The only other possible meetings will take place in the Big East or NCAA Tournament.

And if those meetings do occur, we want them to remember that the Johnnies have already beaten them, and will beat them again.

12. If you can’t be an athlete, be an athletic supporter.

13. To join the throngs of people who, for whatever reason, just plain hate UConn.

I have talked to countless people who could care less about soccer but are attending the game simply because they despise UConn and want to see them get their butts handed to them.

14. Because it’s UConn.

15. We’re the No. 1 team in the nation. By definition, we are better than everyone in the whole country, and the last time I checked, Connecticut was still a part of the United States.

The Red Storm hasn’t lost since the very first match of the season, and there’s no reason to start losing with this one.

16. Because it’s UConn.

17. It’s a great chance to get out to Belson Stadium if you weren’t able to get to the first four games in the new digs (and if you haven’t, shame on you.)

18. Because it’s UConn.

19. When it comes to rivalry games, this is it. Just as Duke is to North Carolina, UCLA is to Southern Cal and Michigan is to Ohio State, UConn is our big game.

Sure beating the likes of Rutgers and Boston College is nice, but when it comes right down to it, this is the team that we want to beat, that we need to beat.

20. Because we can announce in one voice, as one University that, “Everyone knows, UConn blows!”

Jason Della Rosa is a senior journalism major who, if you haven’t noticed, absolutely despises UConn. Send comments to [email protected].