St. John’s signs five

The St. John’s volleyball team recently announced the signing of five newcomers for the 2003 season.

St. John’s Head Coach Joanne Persico-Smith announced that Puna Richardson, Anicia Wood, Erin Poglits, Alicia Carmignani and Nicole Colaluca have all signed letters of intent to join the Red Storm.

Richardson is a 6-0 middle/outside hitter from Panahou High School in Honolulu, Hawaii and earned second team All-State honors in 2001.

Wood is a 6-2 middle hitter from Barbados Community College.

She was a member of the Barbados Junior National Team and earned Sports Woman of the Year while leading her high school, Christ Church Foundation School, to the High School Volleyball Cup.

Carmignani is a 5-8 outside hitter from Oswego High School in Oswego, Ill.

She was named Conference Most Valuable Player and was a member of the Sports Performance club team that finished third nationally.

Poglits is a 5-10 setter from Marian High School in West Bloomfield, Mich. She earned All-American honors at the National AUU Tournament, while being nominated for the Wendy’s Heisman Athlete of the Year and Michigan Athlete of the Year.

She also competed for the Michianna Jr. Olympic team that featured the top players from Michigan and Indiana.

Colaluca is a 5-7 defensive specialist/libero from Naperville Central High School in Naperville, Ill.

She earned Conference Most Valuable Player honors as a senior and received All-Conference and All-Conference Academic honors during her junior and senior seasons.

She was also selected to play for the 2002 All-City Girls Volleyball team in Naperville.

The Red Storm is coming off a 17-16 season and in addition to these five newcomers, St. John’s returns nine letter winners and looks to be a powerful force in the Big East next season.