Tennis, golf bothered by rain, play anyway

MEN’S GOLF

St. John’s finished 15th overall at the William & Mary Invitational, hosted by William & Mary at the Kingsmill River Golf Course in Williamsburg, Va. on Mar. 24-25, carding an overall score of 85-over par 937.

Senior Andrew Svoboda continued his phenomenal play by finishing in a three-way tie for first place by recording a six-over par 219.

“He’s been on an incredible roll and is playing up to what we hope will be NCAA All-American consideration upon season’s end,” St. John’s Head Coach Frank Darby said. “He really deserves it and is the undisputed leader on our team.”

Freshman Tom Travalja finished tied for 60th overall at 26-over par 239, while sophomore Ian Middleton posted a 27-over par 240, good for 64th overall.

Seniors Kyle Sleasman and John DeForest earned 72nd and tied for 86th overall, respectively.

The Red Storm return to the course for the Hofstra Invitational at the Harbor Links Golf Course in Port Washington, N.Y. on April 7-8.

WOMEN’S GOLF

The St. John’s women’s golf team finished 19th at the William & Mary Invitational held at Ford’s Colony Country Club in Williamsburg, Va. by carding a single round score of 339.

The final round of play was canceled because of inclement weather.

Sophomore Jaclyn Sanders was the top finisher for St. John’s, tying for 37th at 10-over par 81.

Sophomore Jennifer Rhee finished tied for 69th at 13-over par 84, while freshmen Christin Thomson and Tracey Bolger finished tied for 83rd at 15-over par 86.

Freshmen Maggie Steciuk and Katie Lebel finished tied for 96th and 101st, respectively.

The Red Storm returns to action on April 7-8 when they travel to Port Washington, N.Y. to compete in the Hofstra Invitational.

WOMEN’S TENNIS

On Mar. 26, St. John’s beat Seton Hall, 4-3, in Big East competition, improving their record to 3-3 overall, and 2-2, in conference play.

In No. 1 doubles, senior Nataliya Kostova and sophomore Kristina Bothova won their match, 8-5, defeating Emelie Akerbrant and Viviana Figueroa.

Just as impressive was sophomore Tessa Woodruff and freshman Lauren Lorenzetti, winning their No. 2 doubles match, 8-4, over Kim Barfull and Lorell Zamot.

In singles competition, Kostova won her No. 1 singles match in straight sets, 6-1, 6-3 over Barfuss.

Bothova, out of the No. 2 spot, also won in straight sets, 7-5, 6-3, over Akerbant, while Woodruff, playing No. 4 singles, defeated Zamot, 6-4, 6-4.

Over the weekend, the women’s tennis matches were postponed due to inclement weather.

Saturday’s match versus the University of Connecticut and Sunday’s match against Providence College will both be rescheduled at a later date.

The Storm return to action Saturday, April 5, when they host Stony Brook.

TRACK AND FIELD

The St. John’s men’s and women’s track and field teams recorded 17 first place finishes, 11 second-place finishes, and seven third-place finishes at a meet this past Monday at DaSilva Field.

For the men, junior Marc Crosswell led the way with two first place finishes – in the 800 meters with a time of 2:03.72 and in the 1500 meters, clocking a time of 4:15.06.

Senior Dietrech Washington and freshman Joe Gilpin also posted first place performances.

Washington placed first in the shot put with a toss of 13.78m and Gilpin’s time of 24.02 placed him first in the 200 meters.

The men 4×400 meter relay team were victorious with a time of 3:38.0 while the women’s 4×400 also finished first at 4:11.8.

Of the 17 first place finishes for St. John’s, the women earned 11 of them.

Leading the women was junior Sophia Bazile, who had a breakout day, earning a first place finish in the triple jump with a mark of 32’9″ and another first place finish in the long jump with a 17’7 34″.

Senior Denise Raab turned in one of her best times of the year, placing first in the 100 meter hurdles, with a time of 18.36.

Junior Taniesha Lewis posted an impressive time of 26.2 in the 200 meters, placing first in the event.

Sophomores Judy Owens and Charline Sealy each were first on the day for the Red Storm. Owens placed first in the shot put, after a toss of 12.00m and Sealy came in first in the 1500 meters with a time of 5:24.42.

The St. John’s men’s and women’s track and field team returns to action on April 4, when they travel to William and Mary College to compete in the Colonial Relays.