The Devil’s Advocates

Q: I am a senior and I have no idea what I’m going to do after graduation. I know it’s a little late to be thinking about this now, but I really need to find something to do after graduation. My parents are on my back about what I’m going to do, and I’ve been able to stall them for the past few months. But time is running out fast. Whatever I do I want to be able to make a lot of money while doing it. What should I do?

-Desperate for Direction

Dear Desperate,

Believe it or not, your uncertainty is probably the universal emotion sweeping the University’s Class of 2003. Whether their futures are “planned” or still sketchy, many seniors have absolutely no idea what they will end up doing after graduation.

You say that whatever you do, you want to make a lot of money, but you really have no room to make such a demand. Have you ever heard the expression “Beggars can’t be choosers”? Well, that pearl of wisdom applies especially to you, for you have obviously not given any thought to what you want to do in the months (or years, for that matter) post-graduation. Besides, you also do not want to limit yourself. If you were to strictly stick to that criteria after graduation, you could end up working a crummy job seven days a week and miss out on so many more productive opportunities.

Have you given any thought to going to graduate school? Furthering your education could “buy you some time” and allow you to delay the harsh realities of the real world. By going to grad school, you will also add to your own credentials, making you (or you resume, at least) more attractive to employers.

If you feel that you are burned out and sick of schoolwork, you should seriously consider taking a semester or two off. Try a job that you would actually enjoy going to everyday. Who knows? You may actually be able to fulfill that requirement of making “a lot of money.” Whatever you decide, good luck.

Q: What are your feelings on interracial marriage? Everyone says that they are perfectly fine with it, but their actions say something different. My friend, who is Polish, has been dating her Chinese boyfriend for almost three years. Last week they announced that they want to get married in the next year. Everyone seemed to be fine when they were dating, but now that they are engaged, the same people are trying to keep them from getting married. Why is everything so different now?

-Race Relation Ruckus

Dear Ruckus,

Situations like your friend’s happen all the time: Some people are okay with the “mixing of races” until it hits home. And the prospect of two racially different people getting married certainly hits home for some people, especially if they are family or close friends. They may feel that in the beginning there is never any real “threat” of that other race sticking around because boyfriends and girlfriends come and go like bad weather.

However, your friends have stayed together for a very long time (three years is the equivalent of three lifetimes in my book), and despite what others may wish would happen neither of them is going away anytime soon.

My advice to you is to continue to stick by your friends, for they are going to need all the support they can get in such socially sticky times. And as for the naysayers, ignore them and try educating them on the subjects of true friendship, loyalty, and matters of the heart.