New dean for SJU School of Law

St. John’s law students will be seeing a new dean nextsemester.

Dean Joseph W. Bellacosa will officially resign from his currentposition on Aug. 1, 2004 and be replaced by Professor Mary C. Dalyof Fordham University School of Law. Bellacosa, who has been Deanof the St. John’s Law School for four years with his previouslyarticulated schedule, is now looking to spend more time with hisfamily. He has nothing but praise for and confidence in Daly.

“We are all confident that her role as dean and professor will[add] luster to the great reputation of our Law School, and herleadership and initiatives will take the Law School to even newheights,” Bellacosa said.

St. John’s President Rev. Donald J. Harrington believes Daly isqualified for this position. “We are very excited to have foundsuch a capable person to take the reins from Judge Bellacosa,”Harrington said. “Professor Daly has proven herself to be a bright,articulate and compassionate person, as well as a brilliantscholar. We welcome her and look forward to her leadership.”

Daly has been teaching at Fordham Law since 1983 and iscurrently the James H. Quinn Professor of Legal Ethics. She is alsoserving as Director of the law school Graduate program and is theCo-Director of its Louis Stein Center for Law and Ethics.

Daly is very excited about her new position. “I am thrilled tohave this opportunity and challenge,” she said. “St. John’s Schoolof Law is highly-regarded as an outstanding law school by lawyersand scholars across the country. It has flourished under thestewardship of Judge Bellacosa. I am looking forward to continuingthe work begun by him in making St. John’s School of Law the bestit can be, for its students, faculty and alumni.”

Daly said she is not planning on making any major changes to thecurrent program. She only wants to build up on what is alreadythere. “I know there are programs to help develop further, forexample, the clinical program I would like to develop further,”said Daly. She is a former assistant U. S. attorney for theSouthern District of New York along with serving as Deputy Chiefand Chief for the Civil Division of that Office.

Daly graduated from Thomas More College and received her lawdegree from Fordham University School of Law in 1972. She has alsoreceived her LL.M. degree from New York University.