St. John’s Roundup

Men’s Fencing

After a perfect 16-0 in the regular season and performing wellin the NCAA East Regional, SJU is sending six members to the NCAAChampionships, two per weapon, on March 25-28.

Representing SJU in the sabre competition is senior DarrinWhitmer and junior Sergey Isayenko, whom placed third and fourthrespectively in the East Regional.

In the epee competition, junior Arpad Horvath, the defendingNCAA Champion for the epee, and sophomore Josh Guevara finishedfirst and second respectively in the East Regional to qualify.

Junior Nitai Kfir, the defending regional champion and lastyear’s second-place winner in the NCAA Championships and freshmanHenry Kennard both qualified for the foil championship by finishingfirst and third respectively.

Women’s Fencing

SJU finished 10-6 overall and is sending four members to thechampionships.

Juniors Julia Gelman and Christina Crane will compete for thesabre championship in the upcoming NCAA’s. Gelman placed secondwhile Crane finished fifth in the East Regional.

Freshman Amy Delahanty and sophomore Erszebet Garay willrepresent SJU the in the foil competition. The tandem placed firstand second in the Regional.

Men’s Golf

The St. John’s men’s golf team placed seventh this past weekendwith a carding of 624 in the 2004 Treasure Coast WTC Hero’s Classicat the PGA Country Club in sunny Port St. Lucie, Fl.

St. Louis University won the classic, carding a 602.

On the first day, St. John’s was led by sophomore Brian McArdleand freshman Joe Yastrub. McArdle shot a 4-over-par 76 and Yastrubchipped in with a 7-over-par 79.

The second day was highlighted by John Stoltz’s second careertop-10 finish as he shot a one-under-par 71 and an overall score of150, good enough to place seventh, four strokes out of thelead.

The golf team swings back to action in two weeks for the DrewUpton Classic.

Men’s Soccer

SJU is back in the news again as freshman Ashley Kozicki wasnamed to Soccer America’s Freshman All-American team.

Kozicki helped the team to the NCAA Championship game this pastseason and finished fifth on the team in scoring with nine points.In the Storm’s national title run, he logged a goal, two assistsand drew two penalty kicks.