DJ Zeke: Renaissance Man

Fine Line Productions, Cafe Press Clothing Line, DJ Zeke Entertainment. These are all the businesses Ezekiel O. Akinyemi, a.k.a. DJ Zeke, is involved in. At age 21, DJ Zeke is already an entrepreneur using his dee-jay skills for profit.

The very popular DJ from Staten Island has been rocking St. John’s University for almost three years with his participation at various campus activities. He credits his parents, who are from Nigeria, with instilling his strong work ethic.

DJ Zeke’s story is a humble one that starts in the Park Hill Housing Complex in Staten Island before he moved to Queens Village at age 14. During that year, his involvement with the sound booth in his church launched his career as a disc jockey. Akinyemi said he followed the steps and styles of Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, Jam Master Jay and Mr. Cee.

Zeke’s professional introduction to dee-jaying was at a sweet 16 party. From there, more opportunities came, including entertaining a yacht party with over 500 people.

The “chameleon DJ” says his popularity comes from his openness to play to different crowds.

“Even though I am popular, I was raised to be humble and respect people older than me and my age group,” Akinyemi said.

Throughout his travels as a disc jockey, Akinyemi has experienced highs and lows, which he says helped him become a better entertainer.

The worst experience he had was at an Indian wedding, where he did not have enough music to play. he said he learned a valuable lesson. These experiences made him both diversified and confident enough in his work to pursue jobs without worry.

“There is no competition in the school,” Zeke said. “I am a full scale DJ (not one-dimensional) but I respect those who did it before me.”

He also spoke on the lack of diversity other DJs in the school demonstrate, as well as the type of concerts held in school.

“They don’t cater to everyone,” Zeke said. “After that Indian party, I learned a lesson about catering to every demographic’s musical tastes.”

Although the enterprising entertainer has businesses of his own to generate funds, DJ Zeke uses his deejaying skills and marketable name to participate in many charity events. This past March, Zeke provided the entertainment for sorority Theta Phi Alpha’s charity event. This month, he will be spinning at “Relay For Life,” a charity event to raise money for cancer.

Akinyemi does offer some words to up and coming DJs.

“Don’t pay attention to the world, the world will slow you down,” Zeke said. “Don’t aim for the world, aim for the universe so you will never fall short.”

Dee-jaying is merely one aspect of Ezekiel Akinyemi’s life. The deeply involved student helps practice with the women’s basketball team, host events, is a former orientation leader and a part of student leadership. He also mentors young and developing leaders.