Men’s soccer drops another

Heading into its game against DePaul, Red Storm men’s soccer had been in a bit of a swoon and had been looking for something that up until recently felt normal: a win.

Unfortunately for the team, it was not able to right the ship against DePaul as it lost by the final score of 2-1.

St. John’s had been 1-2-1 over its past four games and had gone 0-2-1 against Big East opponents. With the final road game of the regular season on the schedule, St. John’s looked to close out its last road trip on a positive note.

The game started out well enough for the storm. After playing a close first half in which neither team scored, St. John’s took the ball and ended the seeming war of attrition and scored in the 68th minute.

Jara Habib took the ball and passed it to rookie midfielder Michael Luk who launched a ball that reached its peak and fell just over the head and out of the reach of DePaul’s goalie Brian Visser. The goal was Luk’s first of his career and put the Red Storm in prime position to either win or at least earn a tie.

Up until that game, St. John’s allowed two or more goals in only five games all season and had amassed an average of 0.92 goals allowed per game.

The math didn’t seem to add up for DePaul, unfortunately for St. John’s, as it went on to score in both the 78th and 81st minutes.

The first goal came on a penalty kick that was awarded to John Partyka who slipped the ball past the Jason Landers to tie the game. The game-winning goal came when Nathan Feltz beat Landers on a one-on-one. Although the game was close, the penalties were even closer as there were 30 fouls, and three yellow cards issued to St. John’s.

With the loss, St. John’s fell to 7-5-2 (3-4-2 in the Big East) while DePaul improved to 5-9-2 (4-5-0). St. John’s will finish out the remainder of its season at home as it takes on Villanova on Oct. 18 and South Florida on Oct. 21.