The Rundown

The semester is ending and most of the St. John’s sports are winding to a close, if their seasons are not already over. Baseball will continue to play into the summer but the two other high-profile men’s sports, soccer and basketball, are long over.

It is worth a look back at what St. John’s got from its rookie contributors and, in the context of looking forward, what they mean for Red Storm sports in upcoming seasons.

Men’s Soccer: The team was reeling from the loss of a solid group of players that either graduated or transferred. Yet, they still won the Big East Tournament and went on to the
NCAA Tournament. The success was due in large part from an outstanding rookie class.

The standout star here is obvious: Ryan Soroka. As a freshman, he came in and immediately became the team’s most dangerous scorer. Starting each of the team’s 22 games, he led the team in goals with nine (five more than the next highest), assists with
eight, and points with 26 (17 more than the next highest). He accounted for nearly 30-percent of the team’s goals by himself.

While Soroka was outstanding, he was not the only freshman to lift the Red Storm. Tadeu Terra played in each of the team’s 22 games and contributed three goals and five assists
(second on the team with 11 points.) Adam Himeno was a workhorse, starting all 22 games and playing for a team-high 1,802 minutes. He knocked in three goals in his playing time.

Men’s Basketball: The season began with disappointing news about the new recruits. Not only was Rob Thomas to sit out the year (and now out with an injury) but Derwin Kitchen was off the team before the season started because of academic ineligibility.

The team did, however, make it to the Big East tournament and they did so with help from the freshmen that did play. Qa’rraan Calhoun made the greatest impact on the team, working his way into more playing time, until he ended the year as a regular starter. Calhoun averaged 5.9 ppg and 4.0 rpg. He was also able to block 17 balls. The other impact freshman, Larry Wright, did not start in any games but got into every one at some point. He averaged 4.0 ppg and showed off a nice longball shot, hitting 43-percent of his 58 chances.

Baseball: Their season is not yet complete but there is already an obvious impact freshman. His name is Brian Kemp and he is filling perhaps the biggest hole St. John’s had from last season. With the graduation of their best hitter Will Vogl, centerfield was left open. Kemp took over the position and the batting order slot (first) as a freshman and has certainly done his job thus far. His batting average currently stands at .331 He has one homerun and leads the team with 16 stolen bases. He has been caught only twice.
Ryan Cole, a right-handed relief pitcher, has also proven himself as a freshman. He has struck out 15 and walked only five in his 19.1 innings this season. Batters have hit only .237 against him with only two hits for extra bases.

St. John’s sports may be winding down for this season but the abovementioned freshmen have shown why fans better pay attention next year as well. The future of the Red Storm is in good hands.