Getting the last laugh

Al Gore seems to be getting the last laugh these days. On October 12, Gore, who lost the 2000 presidential elections by the skin of his teeth, was awarded the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize. Gore shared the award with the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, which is a group of 2,000 scientists in the United Nations. The committee has done extensive research on climate change.

Gore won the Peace Prize because of his extreme dedication to raising awareness of global warming and finding efforts to repair the damage that has been done and the prevention of further destruction. The most influential way he has raised awareness is by his 2006 documentary, “An Inconvenient Truth.”

Since its release in August 2006, the documentary has won multiple awards, including the Academy Award’s “Best Documentary” honor in 2007, which shows that Americans have been taking Gore’s message seriously, even if the government is not.

Both Gore and the U.N have been criticized for being so concerned with the state of the global environment. Conservatives have been known to call his film “exaggerated”. Despite all the criticism, the public is taking notice of the former vice president’s efforts.

The former Vice President joins the ranks of other great advocators and researchers, which include Muhammad Yunus and Grameen bank, the International Atomic Energy Agency, and former President Jimmy Carter. Carter won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2002 for his efforts in promoting peaceful solutions to international conflicts and advocating human rights along with democracy.

This recent triumph for Gore is like a slight to the Bush Administration. A spokesman for the White House simply said “they were happy for Vice President Gore and the United Nation for receiving their recognition.” President Bush and Gore have not exactly seen eye to eye on certain issues. President Bush chose not to subscribe to the Kyoto treaty to contain greenhouse gases, which has raised criticism from the likes of Gore. The Bush Administration has not been as focused on global preservation, perhaps maybe they have multiple military operations to deal with that are not doing as well as previously hoped.

With his recent win, a rumor has been spreading of Gore’s renewed interest in the upcoming presidential campaign. Gore has said multiple times he would not run in the campaign after losing in 2000 to President Bush.

Gore has certainly proven all of his critics wrong by rising up from defeat to triumph. Instead of sulking away forever after losing the Presidential race, he decided to concentrate on another way he could help the nation. The former Vice President may not have been able to help the nation by presiding in the Oval Office, but now he can serve the world by being himself.