Student art on display in library

In honor of Founder’s Week, the University Library is hosting a student art exhibit. Students in Professor Joseph Adolphe’s Fall 2007 “Anatomy and Figure Drawing I” submitted artwork that reflected the Founder’s Week theme, “Vincentian Beyond Borders: Building a Civilization of Love.”

The students’ work can be viewed in the 3rd floor display cases of the University Library during the library’s regular hours: 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. on Saturday, and 12:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. on Sunday.

January 31 is the last day to view the student art exhibit.

“Viewing the exhibit can encourage others to think about and discuss the Founder’s Week theme, what it means to them, and how they will express it in their own lives,” said University librarian Cynthia Chambers.

According to Chambers, the idea of a student art exhibit was developed by her and Adolphe to “provide art students with an opportunity to consider how they will use their skills to make a statement for good.”

Now in its third year, the Founder’s Week student art exhibit has become an annual event. According to Chambers, it has been a success.

“The response to this exhibit has been very positive, both from the students involved in creating the art and from those in the St. John’s community who have viewed it.”

The following student artists contributed work to the exhibition: Teresa Flaherty, Brian Bumbarger, Gabriella D’Amreau, Kara Montalbano, Geoff Simms, Keri Dodge, Zachary Davino, Catherine Corrigan, and Jospeh Botero.

In addition to a final project aimed at illuminating the social obligations human beings have to help one another, the students were also asked to provide a written self-reflection on what they, as artists, can do to contribute to society.

One of the artists, Zach Davino, wrote about his piece that he wanted to follow in the footsteps of legendary editorial cartoonists like Rollin Kirby and Thomas Nast and use his artistic abilities to create political cartoons that evoke change by sparking social and political commentary.

Another artist, Keri Dodge wrote about her piece, “to contribute to a moral and just society, although it can mean big history changing decisions, I think [it] also depends on little every day choices.”