Letters to the Editor

To the Editor:

Re: News story March 12, “Unprecedented election”
What, truthfully, is so “unprecedented” about this election? I still see the same vague, uninspiring language used in both R.I.S.E. and S.E.R.V.I.C.E. campaigns.
If I may, I would like to suggest a few modifications be made in future SGI elections:
1. Have an actual campaign platform. Taking “control” of our Student Government budget is not only incredibly vague, but a really bad point to make overall. What makes the R.I.S.E. party believe this distinguishes them from their bretheren? Do some research on the student body. What issues really concern undergraduates? If anyone wants to be electable, at least pretend like you’ve done some research.
2. Advertise your debates. I had no idea that debates were even scheduled! In fact, the Editorial Page Editor informed me of this unknown development in an e-mail correcting my initial suggestion of having debates. Where is spam/chain mail proclaiming R.I.S.E./S.E.R.V.I.C.E. debates when you need it most? Future debates should be advertised through the neon-colored flyers that so many of us were accosted with this election season!
3. Think of better acronyms. Let’s be real, people. “Reaching Higher. Inspiration. Student Services. Empowerment” and “Serving. Enthusiam. Reliability. Vision. Integrity. Commitment to Excellence” are just plain pathetic. Acronyms could be used to very well convey positions on issues (notice a pattern here?) instead of cooking up an attractive alphabet soup. Who started this tacky trend, anyway? Ditch it for next year, and think of a slogan that’ll resonate with students.
In reality, what would possess a student to log into UIS and vote for an unknown face and party, both of which have no actual platforms or tangible messages to promote? I am calling for a revolution of change in the way the St. John’s undergraduate community understands the election process. With the right team of individuals and concentrated direction, perhaps we could unify a predominantly divided student body.

Radha Radkar
Sophomore
St. John’s College